Turn thermostat down?

Let the Record show that "Bill Noble" on or about Sun, 1 Nov 2009 08:38:44 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Right now, I think it is set for 120F. Hot enough for most purposes. OTOH, the last place (where I rented) was set much higher. That was useful for getting the grease off plates.

pyotr filipivich

Straight up? My Mom's house had a collection of bad executions of reasonable ideas. One major one was a gas water heater, in the garage, under the stairs up to the family room. And a plastic connecting the previous owner's dogs had chewed on.

pyotr filipivich

[snip]

Really?

I'm not going to contradict you, since I've never seen any data, and heat pumps are probably not very effective in areas where winters stay pretty cold, but here in the sort-of-south (SC Appalachians), heat pumps are installed in nearly every house that is worth more than about 80 grand. My old 10 SEER unit works fine down to about 38F. If

8% is correct, then I'd say that a lot of people in the more temperate regions are missing out on a fair amount of savings, especially now that NG is about the same cost as electricity per BTU, oil is higher and LPG is outrageous.

I don't know what intervals the OP was thinking of (he didn't say), but I drop my setpoint for the 10 hours I'm gone to work, and for the

8 hours I'm asleep (well, not as much sleep nowadays, but, you know). I've done no studies to measure my savings, but even 10% would be great. If a large proportion of the population believes that they can save half of their energy bill by occasionally dropping their setpoint, well, that says a lot about our citizenry.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Mine's about 110F, the non-adjustable setting on the quick recovery upper thermostat. If I need hotter water for greasy pots I heat a teakettle.

At less than 115F or so there is a postulated chance of bacterial growth. I think the chance is nearly zero for chlorinated water and copper pipes, maybe a possibility with well water and plastic. A few times a year and before major storms I turn on the lower electric element at its max setting to sterilize the tank and give me 3 - 4 days of hot water if we lose power.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If you missed the link I gave in an earlier message, this is where that number comes from. There are something like 400,000 units sold per year, but only around half of those are residential. So the percentage now could be between 9% and 10% of homes:

Ed Huntress

Get a zoned waterbed and connect her side to one of those 'drink chillers' used in restaurants.

Use two, if you want to take it down to the 40 degree range. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I LIKE it!!

I think Ive got a spindle chiller in storage....Hummmmm.....

Thanks!!

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch