Vise grips tools

I was with you up to the no problem solving part. The people that run the place like good ideas, some times intermediaries don't like any change or questioning of the way things are unless they thought it up themselves.
Of course I fix things, I guess most everyone would like me to solve problems ;)

I can only speak for places I have worked and/or been privy to peer inside for a bit. The problem solvers are treated like loose cannons, management can't control them (which is related to why they are problem solvers) and thus only puts up with them to a point. If they were held in high regard management wouldn't hire stupid contemporaries and keep them around after numerous screw ups while punishing the actual problem solver.
I quit passing on "good ideas" to upper management long before leaving. It really ripped me up to see them ignored and/or bastardized. I either figured out how to implement it myself or lived without...
As Steve A. mentioned in a follow up post, read some of Matthew B. Crawford's recent work. You don't have to get his book, just listen/read some of the interviews he has done promoting his book "Shop Class as Soulcraft". His tale is much the same as I have personally seen (shrug).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
14:37:12 -0400, Leon Fisk, snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.iserv.net wrote:

There's some insight into that phenomenon in _Shop Class as Soulcraft_ -- Matthew B. Crawford,
--
☯☯

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:11:41 -0500, the infamous "Pete C."

And they (mostly Democrats), in turn, produce tons of "victims".
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

I have gotten a large number of vise grips through ebay. One or two here and there, some larger numbers than that. Except one, all of them were in good to excellent shape. Use the term "vice" grip, also, as there will be some listed that way. C clamps, also. I have gotten the 11r's for $6. They last, so the current US produced tools will be available for a long time. I would never ever go to a store and pay what they want for a new pair.
Steve

That is an interesting economic statement.
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:37:15 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
<snip>

I've worked with several people that didn't have any Vise-Grip style tools. When they need to be in two places at once they go find another person to help. I figure out how to do things by myself, because there isn't anyone else around and even it there was they have their own job to do. Vise-Grip style tools allow you to be in two or more places at the same time, allowing you to complete the job by yourself.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Last week, I had a way lube system designed for a different machine in the plant held in place with a pair of vise grips. Worked pretty fine for the two days it took to get the repair parts to fix the OEM lube system.
Today I needed to draw an arc with a radius of about 12' centered on a square post with 4 tapered reinforcement ribs. I started thinking I could just loop some THHN wire around it and stretch out the wire and put a pencil through a loop at the far end and draw the arc on the floor so we could tape and paint. That didn't work, the wire rode up the taper and changed the radius. So I grabbed 4 vise grips, 1 from Sears, 2 from Irwin, and 1 stamped Petersen and clamped them to the ribs at the same height. I ran the wire above and below alternating pliers so it would stay put and drew some nice arcs for the guy that had to tape and paint.
Vise grips are an improvisational tool.
Wes
<snip>

Yes, very well put. I only use them when there is no proper tool for the job or it isn't readily available.
A neighbor stopped in not too long ago. Wonder if I could help him hold/unscrew a large (4 inch?) plastic pipe fitting in the bottom of a 55 gallon drum. He said it was only finger tight but that he couldn't reach both sides at the same time. I was busy at the time (lunch I think :) so I loaned him a very large jawed and a chain Vise-Grip. Told him one or both would probably be able to grip his pipe. If not I would stop by after lunch. He was back a short time later with a big grin, the large jaw version did the job just fine. He had never seen either version before, but had a sudden urge to buy one of the large jaw models :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

They are indeed, and wonderfully so. Field expedient, about never exactly the right tool but sometimes they're the only tool available that works and often the most convenient -- as in clamping and jigging stuff for welding.
Randy wrote:

They have been made in China for the past year.
Irwin is selling off the plant because it has sat idle for a while.
--
Steve W.

speaking about vice grips...
http://thereifixedit.com/2009/08/30/epic-kludge-photo-that-should-hold-er/comment-page-1/#comments
(i'm guessing if the (chinese knock off) vice grips fell off the trailer would come loose?)
further stuff...
http://thereifixedit.com/page/6 /
(thought of iggy, the swingset 2/3rd's the way down the page.)
oh, and the rollercoaster... sheesh. (2/3rd's down)
http://thereifixedit.com/page/7/