Vises?

Just reading a couple threads on various boards about vises and thought it would be a nice thread here

Whatcha got?

Some of mine

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

That's a lot of benches vises. I only got one of those - a 8"craftsman old enough to still be a good one

two drill press vises 4 inch and 12 in two surface grinder/ toolmaker vises about two inch two kurt 8" mill vises two kurt 6" mill vises clone 6" mill vise with swivel base most important one - a completely hand made portable vise that was the first thing I ever mangled out of metal with machine tools - made in

1974

Bet I missed some

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

2 Chick ML 4 with 8 stations apiece for a total of 16 stations on two pallets. 2 Pairs of Kurt PT600 mounted back to back for a total 4 stations total on two pallets 2 pairs of Kurt II mounted back to back for 4 stations on two pallets.

2 pairs of Chick BL 4 2 station vises with each pair tandem mounted on

16x 16 baseplates for 8 stations total

3 GS vises 6in Kurt style

1 Yuasa 6in vise Kurt style.

This is in addition to several toolmaker vises of varying size.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I have a post vise (unmarked) that could have been made in 1794. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Wow, you're rich! Look at that picture with all the silver ingots...

What? You say it's that deadly Californicatin' LEAD stuff? Somebody call the EPA.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I cleaned up the big vice dad bought in early 50's - traded for it actually but we got the vise. Missing one jaw but that was easy enough.

I have several but not like Gunner! But I'm on the hunt for a 4" Kurt.

My big vice that I reconditioned I took off the old paint gently and I then cold zincked it - spray on zinc. Then sprayed on a heavy coat of Bronze paint. Both paints were metal based paints.

It looked good when done and has lasted well. The paint is thick and metalic, allowing scars that heal in that sense. I went a bit far with the paint, but it seems to work out.

Mart> Just reading a couple threads on various boards about vises and

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

"The design of these vises right down to the last chamfer seems to have been perfected in the 1600's and remained more or less the same until the 20th century." Which makes them hard to identify as they all look alike. 1794 was just a transposition of 1974.

The mounting bracket is similar to the middle drawing of three English styles. The screw has a lathe center hole in the handle end, and now I've smeared (schmiered?) black grease on my keyboard from taking it apart to look.

Here's a picture; flanking my laptop are the wrought-iron post vise and a cast-iron frypan with eggs I fried on the woodstove. 1800, 1900 and 2000 life all in the same frame.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Schilly boy. Don't you cut up old socks, undies, jeans, sweats, and tees for use as rags? I have shopping bags full of them all over the house, shop, and truck.

Gee, Jim. I knew you were an old fart, but you're -far- older than I thought.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, we did believe that our high school Latin teacher was a native speaker.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

They are obsolete for good reasons. I've used it maybe twice, on larger welding projects outdoors because it can be clamped to my temporary welding table, a reject sewer grate on a hydraulic lift platform, and supported on a cut-off firewood log. It hold small weldments that need grinding or hammer adjustment better with less obstruction than a drill press vise, and won't fall on my foot like a bench vise if the clamps loosen. I haven't arc welded on it because it has antique value. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I broke vise after vise until a got a Colombian from Boeing surplus.

12 years later, it is still unbroken.
Reply to
clark

I also got a Colombian vise from Boeing Surplus and it is the one I use most.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster