Way oiling

I've tried several methods of dispensing oil on my SB9 ways, usually involving a chip brush, that results in smearing a mixture of chips and oil over the ways.

While cleaning off my desk, I came across a little bottle with a sponge on top, normally filled with water and used to seal envelopes. As it left my hand for the trash can, the little light came on above my head.

Snagged it back out of the trash, filled with oil, couple of squeezes. Works good. Don't know how it would work with actual way oil. My machine is pretty worn, so I just use motor oil on the ways.

-- Bill Browne Excalibur

Claims, Taft-Hartley Fund, & Pension Administration Software

Reply to
Bill Browne

It never ceases to amaze me how different American and English has become. Translation, what we call chips, you call french fries. Now why would you have those in your machine? The image made me smile though. BTW, I use engine oil on my machine ways as well. Over here, the latest ad campaign stresses how well a certain oil clings to an engine to avoid wear at start up. My reasoning says it must cling to my machines slide ways as well.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Seems like I read here a couple years ago that motor oil has detergents in it that are hygroscopic and shouldn't be used on machine tool surfaces. I was using it to keep my mill table from rusting in an unheated garage and it rusted anyhow. Cleaned it up and started using the non-detergent 10 wt. machine oil that I use on the oil fittings on the mill and no more rusting problem. I imagine non-detergent motor oil would work, though.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

I did. The problem wasn't the ways, or the oil. It was the chip brush.

Reply to
Bill Browne

My experience in shops with leaky roofs, is that high detergent oil protects better. The moisture is retained in the oil, and the bed does NOT rust! With non detergent oil, moisture goes to the bottom, and you will have rust. I speak from experience on this, not theory. I always clean off the oil , and relube before using the tool. A good cleanup, followed by fresh oil mothballs the machine again. If it sits for a long time, reoil once a week.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie

I'd love to have some kind of automatic oiler on my lathe carriage. For instance, mill out 4 pockets on the underside of the carriage, stuff it with felt, and then run some small diameter tubing from a central drip oiler to each pocket.

Reply to
Tony

Some motor oil contains sulfur compounds. These can 'mix' with water and form H2So4 - acid.

I had a rust problem in the shop - live in a rain forest of Redwoods.

Once I bought a gallon of way oil and used it - got a oil pump just for it - I poured it on all exposed surfaces - whipping around the whole chuck and faces.

The heavy oil help force up out of pores moisture that would cause the rust.

No rust since.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn