What is a turret mill?

A buddy has a knee mill (a Bridgeport) that has a new Anilam controller and whatnot. I understand, at a very basic level, how it works and how it can manipulated.

How is a turret mill different?

Reply to
Brent Burton

Same thing different name. When you import these mills U.S. Customs classifies them as "turret" mills. So you'll see that term more often with imported machines than the more familiar term "knee" mill.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I suppose you have to see a cincinnati up close to ponder the difference betwen turret and knee

useful c> Dan wrote:

Reply to
yourname

A Bridgeport is both a knee mill and a turret mill. The table is mounted on a knee that cranks the table up and down. The head ram mounts to a rotating turret at the top of the base casting that allows flexibility in positioning the head, though not while making a cut.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons wrote: | In article , snipped-for-privacy@fnord.io.com says... | > A buddy has a knee mill (a Bridgeport) that has a new Anilam controller | > and whatnot. I understand, at a very basic level, how it works and how it | > can manipulated. | > | > How is a turret mill different? | > | | A Bridgeport is both a knee mill and a turret mill. The table is mounted | on a knee that cranks the table up and down. The head ram mounts to a | rotating turret at the top of the base casting that allows flexibility | in positioning the head, though not while making a cut. | | Ned Simmons

Ah, I see. There is a mill for sale locally that is also a Bridgeport, but was just labeled as a turret mill. Thanks for the description, I see exactly how these are both.

-Brent

Reply to
Brent Burton

If it was good enough for Bridgeport to market their machines as turret mills, surely the Asian clone makers can't be wrong?

Ton

Reply to
Tom