What is it? CLXXVII

Hey Gerry,

You're just the guy to ask. What the heck IS the "TACAN" part of a VORTAC? That never gets explained at ground school. There is no observable difference in GA instruments in flight between a plain VOR and a listed VORTAC. And while I don't get to actually see many of either of them, what did you see on the one shown on Robs list that determines that it is in fact a VORTAC? Only difference to the ones located around here is that this one doesn't have the vertical orange-red and white stripes.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

TACAN operated in the UHF range for one thing, not available to sillyvillians.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Yor are right Stuart, VHF omnidirectional range station, or omni for short. I have worked on more of the equipment than I care to think of from ARN14's to 51R4'x and a bunch of R nav systems thrown in. The ground stations came in three basic flavors, Omni range, Vortac ( omni and tacan)and vor/dme. ( distance measuring equipment)

Omni gives you azimuth but no range, range being distance from or to the station. Azimuth is the angular distance of your position from north. Commercial aviation used vor and dme for navigation, the military used tacan.

The omni portion used the frequencies between 108 and 118 MHz. The DME used the freqs. between 960 and 1215 MHz. The dme transmitter in the aircraft would send out a pulsed signal to the ground station. The ground station would retransmit the signal on a frequency 63 MHz offset from the transmitter frequency and the aircraft receiver would decode the pulse sent by the ground station and calculate the time delay of the return and would present the output in miles from the ground station.

That particular station has automatic weather reporting system with it.

There are also several diffenent classes of stations depending on how they are used. I forget the actual designations but the high powered ones are used for enroute navigation, the terminal vors are usually very close to an airport and are used to navigate to the airport as well as on the vor frequency, voice transmissions of field information are transmitted. Most omnis have the ability to transmit voice in the 118 to 136 MHz. range and the ATC ( aircraft traffic control) uses these freqs. to maintain communications with aircraft under their control.

John

Reply to
John

R, By the rules, that'd have to be:

128. bigassorrery Kerry
Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

I am certainly no "ekspurt" - my specialty was civil/architectural, I did get involved in upgrade/refurbish a lot of nav-aid sites and a bit sometimes rubbed off.

What the heck IS the "TACAN" part of a

Tacan is operated on higher frequency, and as I understand it, uses a physically rotated antenna, as opposed to the beam being electrically swept.

That never gets explained at ground school. There is no

GA instruments only "see" the VOR signal - the TACAN is out of their frequency range and the signal is rejected as noise. It is strictly a military system.

And while I don't get to actually see many of

The VOR antenna is housed in the cone while the TACAN is in the cylinder. Both of these housings are non metallic and are assembled with nylon fasteners

Only difference to the ones

IIRC, Wikipedia has a pretty good article:

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

1030 is a "Chicago Firearms Company "Protector", commonly called a "palm pistol". With approximately 70% original finish and in good mechanical condition it wold be worth between 2500 and 3000 dollars.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

Strangely enough, this plane is designed to create a trough lengthwise in a piece of stock with a semicircular profile.

Stanley #57. See more here:

Note the first description line of the #56 :-)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They've all been answered correctly this week, though I'm still not sure if the navigation station is a VOR or VORTAC type, I'm going with VOR for now. More details on the rest can be seen here:

The link for the core box plane is the same one posted by Scott in this thread.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Interesting -- and following your web site link I see how it is used.

I like a lot of that fellow's writing. He has his tongue nicely in cheek. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols