What is it? Set 136

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The DD-50 standard density. I was using them with edge connectors that fit the Commodore user port to make TTL to RS232 adapters.
BTW, I dragged a Sun Ultra 10 out of a dumpster a while back. The mother board has some bad electrolytics, and the hard drive was missing, but it has 1 GB of RAM. It will cost about $12 to repair the motherboard, and I have about 100 used hard drives.

Sorry, I meant that you didn't have to crimp them with the tool. I just shoved unused terminals into the connector with a piece of steel with a couple notches filed into it. If there are no wires in those positions they can be pushed out of the way either before, or after the wires are crimped.

I passed the "Start" stage over 40 years ago. My main shop is 1200 square feet. Then there is the 28' * 18' shop. The 12' * 24' cottage, the two 12' * 12' buildings, and the two spare bedrooms in the house. I'm trying to figure out a way to camouflage a couple cargo containers in my back yard, and a way to sneak them past the nosey neighbors. ;-)

That's the way it always goes: By the time you have all the toys you need, you can't play with them, as much as you'd like to. :(

I worked for a place near orlando that recycled mainframe computers. It made me sick to see some racks that went to the scrap yard with no holes cut, and no scratches. We had 16 matching racks in there at the same time. They would have looked great in the control room of a TV station, or for equipment at the transmitter site.
I did manage to talk them out of a pair of short aluminum racks with Plexiglas doors that had housed a pair of PDP-11 minicomputers with self loading 9 track tape and hard drives. They have nice rounded corners and edges, and very heavy duty casters.

So that's been resolved. :-)
prove it.

    O.K. I didn't work with the Commodores -- other than helping a friend adapt a bare Diablo daisywheel printer to the IEEE-488 port on the PET.

    O.K. Note that your practical limit on drive size with the Ultra-10 is 120 GB. You can use larger drives, but it won't see any more than that.
    $12.00 is not a bad price -- especially since it has the full stock of RAM. I've picked them up at hamfests for $20.00 with a couple of disk drives -- but too small for today's Solaris. (Plenty for OpenBSD, however. :-)

    O.K. That is pretty much what I had planned to do.

    Well ... this was only about 26 years ago -- and it was only the start of the hydraulically-driven crimper head collection. Other things have been accumulating since about 1958 or so. :-)

    :-)
    Indeed.
    Yes -- mainframes had really nice racks -- though some were non-standard dimensions -- custom made for the machine in question.

    O.K. I've got a couple of the DEC 3-foot high racks, and they are all well made.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I need to take some pictures of the workbench that started life as a PDP-8 used for industrial control. Two racks on heavy casters for legs, a 6 inch matching center section and a formica top where the DEC terminals sat. I've added some drawers, and a shelf. Right now its covered with plastic, till the roof is replaced. :(
The coolest rack I have housed a pair of ten channel Dictaphone 911 recorders, nine phone lines and time code. I sold the recorders, but I still have the empty rack, and the portable courtroom playback deck in a roadie rack.
prove it.

ummm... none?
I Googled "Small System Serial Interface" and got zero hits. Are you just making this stuff up?

    He mistyped there. Try "Small Computer Serial Interface", which is *wrong*, but it gets lots of hits. And, I've seen web pages and articles which used that phrase.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
I vote for bringing back the Roman Numerals when you can too. Karl
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I was going to say I'll switch back in a few weeks when I reach set 140, but since the set numbers are meaningless anyway, I'll just skip ahead to CXL next week.
Rob

Why should he?

What on Earth for? Actual numbers are much more readable.
--
Mark Brader | "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
Toronto | ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their

    Who actually *reads* the numbers? The Roman numerals are easier to spot when scanning through a list of articles to select what you want to read/respond to first.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

How else would you tell one puzzle's thread from the next?

Well, um, that's what the "What is it?" part is for, y'know?
--
Mark Brader "It's okay to have our own language if we feel
Toronto we need it, but why does it have to be used

    By the fact that my newsreader's threading does not have it already marked as an active thread which I am following?

    But that is just more plain text -- easily confused with other plain text. Roman numerals stand out visually.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Correct answers so far:
793. Stanley clapboard gauge
794. Ediphone dictation machine
795. Not sure about this tool yet
796. Telephone plug
797. One of the functions of this multi-tool is a can opener, but I don't know if the wrench is for a specific purpose. I haven't had time to search the patent date.
797. Also don't know about the pocket knife.
I'm going to be away from my computer until sometime on Saturday, I'll post the answer page tomorrow night.
Rob
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:29:28 GMT, "R.H."

Hi Rob,
I'll save you the trouble, it is patent number 286,458. "Combination Tool: for houshold use".
Claims:
Vise Nutcracker Wrench Pliers Tack puller Pruner Wire cutter Can opener
Link:
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat286458.pdf
I had to look it up, so I didn't think it was all that fair to post an answer right away.
I'll see if I can put something together about searching via classes sometime soon (per the other thread/question). It takes some work and learning and isn't for the impatient or faint-of-heart :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

don't

search

Thanks! And also thanks for discovering the patent numbers for both of the quoins (number 795 and 763). I've showed number 795 to a lot of people and thought I was never going to find out what it was.
I updated the answer page for number 763 with a link to the patent:
http://pzphotosan131g-2.blogspot.com/

Sounds good, whenever you have time to post some tips, I'd appreciate it.
Rob
Rob Thanks for the technobabble link. I love stuff like that and this one is priceless.
I've uploaded a technobabble video at http://download.yousendit.com/B056FA4D4F5055A6 It will be available for 7 days. Enjoy.
Art
"R.H." wrote

[snip]

That's a great technobabble video, some of the engineers where I work really liked it.
Rob
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:29:28 GMT, "R.H."
Hi Rob,
I think I found this, January 25 1916, patent number 1,169,533.
"Device for applying pressure: Particularly adapted for use in quoins for use in locking forms of type in chases."
See:
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat1169533.pdf
Thanks to "795 - looks like a chase lock for a printing press; by Mark, at 10/13/2006 1:42 PM" on the Blog comments page for the clue I needed to find this.
I guess the more technical term for this is a "Quoin", which means:
1 a: a solid exterior angle (as of a building) b: one of the members (as a block) forming a quoin and usually differentiated from the adjoining walls by material, texture, color, size, or projection
2: the keystone or a voussoir of an arch
3: a wooden or expandable metal block used by printers to lock up a form within a chase
This wasn't a word I was familiar with, but the third meaning from Merriam-Webster seems to fit well.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Hi Rob,
While researching for #795 I found the patent for #763 in set #131 too. June 17 1919 patent number 1,307,140.
"Printer's Furniture: The invention relates to adjustable furniture and quoins and more particularly to that form known as "job locks" in which the adjustment of the two relatively movable members is effected by a screw having ratchet threads engaged in separable spring actuated dogs or pawls, serving as a nut..."
Link:
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat1307140.pdf
I had to verify some things first or I would have posted this yesterday.
For the curious, there are two more very similar patents:
March 15 1921 patent number 1,371,621 and
September 24 1901 patent number 683,249
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

search

post

795. Printer's quoin for applying pressure to type.
797. Multi-tool
Please see the answer page for patent info on these two tools, other links and a couple of new photos have also been posted:
http://pzphotosan136x.blogspot.com/
Rob
Are you sure? I don't think that's right.