What is it? Set 136

ummm... none?

I Googled "Small System Serial Interface" and got zero hits. Are you just making this stuff up?

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

He mistyped there. Try "Small Computer Serial Interface", which is *wrong*, but it gets lots of hits. And, I've seen web pages and articles which used that phrase.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Dave,

If you liked that one (#795-Quoin), then you need to see this one too:

August 3 1915 patent number 1,149,037. It works much the same as #795 in principal, but inside it is all cylinder shaped pieces that are being jammed together.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Rob,

Is there any chance you can find out some more info?

Usually there is a name on the largest/longest blade of a jackknife. Also is there any history, was it a father's, grandfather's or some other way to get an approximate age. It could prove to be helpful.

I haven't tried finding anything on this one yet. Some more info would be nice before mucking about on the patents site...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I was using a DE size hood with a single screw, no cable clamp. I've seen, and may have some of the others. The hood for the three row, 50 pin connector has three screws in some versions.

I have one used one, and two that were never crimped into the mounting flange left.

I've found deals like that too. ;-)

Why make life harder than you have to? Using those heavy hand crimpers will cause lots of wear and tear you don't want to face later in life.

I used to take a hand truck and my full sized Chevy stepvan to hamfests. I pick up a pair of brand new enclosed relay racks one year for about $30 each at the end of the hamfest. I asked him what the rent for another day was going to be on the U-haul trailer, then offered to pay the difference. I was shocked when I found the wholesale was over $1000 each. :)

I realize that, but I wanted to point out that there are at least two widths.

Those are newer than the DEC terminals I've worked on. I still have about 50 terminals to give away, or scrap. Most are color, and were working when I put them into storage.

Yes, there is an extra "1" and it got through the spell checker.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I shot the photo at the flea market, the owner didn't want to sell it but liked showing it to people. He was talking to someone else about it and I think he said it was made in Germany, if he's there this weekend I'll take a closer look at it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Which one? The DB series with the high density 50 pin, or the DD series with the normal density 50 pin? I've used both, and I still have both -- though I use the DD-50 more often for older Sun SCSI boxes.

O.K. AFIK, I don't have any left, so I was just wondering. :-)

[ ... ]

Well ... I have to shove the contact blades in so they don't hang up on the wires, even if I am not making connections with them. And the 4 serial-port card warns against using the 8-pin plugs in the jacks, saying that it *will* mangle the pins in the female.

And the start of a collection. :-)

It is *already* later in life. At least, for me, I have been forced onto Medicare, instead of my preferred insurance.

As for why the hand-pumped crimpers?

1) The first one came with the first die in the smaller range (8 ga - 2 ga). Something like $5.00 at a hamfest. 2) Some of the others came from eBay later -- and were bought to get the dies which they came with -- building up an almost complete set of those. 3) Only *after* I got those did I get a separate head (also from eBay) which I could connect to the electric pump. 4) And *finally*, I got the head for the larger size -- 1-0 through 4-0. That one came with an air-over-hydraulic pump which went to a friend, since I already had the electric one.

I've gotten cabinet racks from hamfests too -- though not two at a single hamfest. Good ones are expensive new -- though I've never bought one for *home* new -- though for our computer center at work, I was in the position of selecting racks from time to time.

O.K. and only the jacks documented that. And it was the two widths which started this exchange. :-) And the one in the puzzle photo was certainly the wider of the two. You can see the grooves which would accept the other contact blades if they were fitted, and would at least guide the contact wires in the female.

O.K. I have a couple -- one 220 and one 320 -- which I use as consoles on some of my servers which don't need a heavy and power-hungry monitor for their function. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi Rob,

Fair enough. If you find out anything more pass it on when you get the chance. Email is okay too, which ever suits your fancy.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The DD-50 standard density. I was using them with edge connectors that fit the Commodore user port to make TTL to RS232 adapters.

BTW, I dragged a Sun Ultra 10 out of a dumpster a while back. The mother board has some bad electrolytics, and the hard drive was missing, but it has 1 GB of RAM. It will cost about $12 to repair the motherboard, and I have about 100 used hard drives.

Sorry, I meant that you didn't have to crimp them with the tool. I just shoved unused terminals into the connector with a piece of steel with a couple notches filed into it. If there are no wires in those positions they can be pushed out of the way either before, or after the wires are crimped.

I passed the "Start" stage over 40 years ago. My main shop is 1200 square feet. Then there is the 28' * 18' shop. The 12' * 24' cottage, the two 12' * 12' buildings, and the two spare bedrooms in the house. I'm trying to figure out a way to camouflage a couple cargo containers in my back yard, and a way to sneak them past the nosey neighbors. ;-)

That's the way it always goes: By the time you have all the toys you need, you can't play with them, as much as you'd like to. :(

I worked for a place near orlando that recycled mainframe computers. It made me sick to see some racks that went to the scrap yard with no holes cut, and no scratches. We had 16 matching racks in there at the same time. They would have looked great in the control room of a TV station, or for equipment at the transmitter site.

I did manage to talk them out of a pair of short aluminum racks with Plexiglas doors that had housed a pair of PDP-11 minicomputers with self loading 9 track tape and hard drives. They have nice rounded corners and edges, and very heavy duty casters.

So that's been resolved. :-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

O.K. I didn't work with the Commodores -- other than helping a friend adapt a bare Diablo daisywheel printer to the IEEE-488 port on the PET.

O.K. Note that your practical limit on drive size with the Ultra-10 is 120 GB. You can use larger drives, but it won't see any more than that.

$12.00 is not a bad price -- especially since it has the full stock of RAM. I've picked them up at hamfests for $20.00 with a couple of disk drives -- but too small for today's Solaris. (Plenty for OpenBSD, however. :-)

O.K. That is pretty much what I had planned to do.

Well ... this was only about 26 years ago -- and it was only the start of the hydraulically-driven crimper head collection. Other things have been accumulating since about 1958 or so. :-)

:-)

Indeed.

Yes -- mainframes had really nice racks -- though some were non-standard dimensions -- custom made for the machine in question.

O.K. I've got a couple of the DEC 3-foot high racks, and they are all well made.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's a great technobabble video, some of the engineers where I work really liked it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I need to take some pictures of the workbench that started life as a PDP-8 used for industrial control. Two racks on heavy casters for legs, a 6 inch matching center section and a formica top where the DEC terminals sat. I've added some drawers, and a shelf. Right now its covered with plastic, till the roof is replaced. :(

The coolest rack I have housed a pair of ten channel Dictaphone 911 recorders, nine phone lines and time code. I sold the recorders, but I still have the empty rack, and the portable courtroom playback deck in a roadie rack.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell