What is it? Set 381

Yes, text on it reads Traveler Alarm.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct about measuring collar size but it's for horses, not humans.

Most of them were identified correctly this week, the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Still recon it is for bicycles (May be traveling bicycles) What other use would a traveler have for a bulky presumably not extremely loud button activated alarm.I think they possibly named it traveler just cause it sounded good at the time.

And here is a question.Do you know what this is? Not sure how people normally submit such questions.

F Murtz

It's for inserting rope into the cracks between planks on a large wooden ship, like a schooner.

Previously seen in one of the What is it? sets.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

It's not button activated, the button opens it for battery replacement. The alarm is activated by the sensor on the small end, I was thinking it was a motion sensor, someone here had suggested it was a temperature sensor, and then someone emailed me this:

"The last one is a temperature alarm. The device at the end opposite the horn is a Therm-O-Disc thermostat which opens or closes based on temperature. Most likely it is set up to alarm at a particularily low temperature. One could look up the model of the Therm-o-disc part to find its open and close temperatures. Usually they have the temperature clearly written on them."

But I don't see why a traveler would need a temperature alarm for a "particularily low temperature." I took the photos at an auction so I can't check the sensor for any text on it.

I don't recognize it but will show it to a few people and see what they have to say. How long is it?

People normally just email photos to me, I usually get at least a few a week.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Has the bottom of it got mounting holes? I took that thing on the back to be a momentary contact switch button.

The thing in the photo I posted is eight inches long,

Reply to
F Murtz

Thanks Rob. Again I learn from you and the great people here.

Rene

Reply to
Rene

The alarm has a clip on the bottom, around 3/4" wide, it could maybe fit on something 1/2" thick at most, here is a rough sketch of it:

Too thin to fit a bicycle handle bar but I don't know what a traveler would clip it onto.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

From your sketch, it looks like it would clip nicely to a sun visor in a car. Can't see any use to it there though.

Reply to
Roger

I think it was a belt clip. When I was 16, I went by Greyhound from my rural home to visit relatives at their farm 300 miles away. I'd have to find my way from one bus terminal to another in the big city. To be prepared I bought a wind breaker. Now I knew that if surrounded by a gang of muggers in an alley, I'd be able to break wind.

A Traveler Alarm would provide similar confidence. Before walking down a dark alley at midnight, the traveler would clip it to his belt. He could proceed in confidence, knowing that in a split second he could draw and beep assailants to death.

It would work just as well without a battery. Instead of submitting or running, the traveler reaches for his belt and raises his fist with something unidentified in it. The last thing a mugger wants is trouble, so he excuses himself and leaves.

Most muggers will not even approach a traveler with a Traveler Alarm under his coat. The traveler's confident smile will lead a mugger to suspect that he has been taking a male enhancement product. Uncertain what an enhanced male may have in mind when he walks down a dark alley at midnight, the mugger will steer clear of him.

Reply to
J Burns