What is it? Set 411

#2379 Router Plane (broken).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

maybe a white cloth goes over it to provide soft-field/omnidirectional lighting...

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

On 10/20/2011 10:53 AM, Rich Grise wrote: ...

Yes, that's another moderately common source and was essentially the only source during the evolution of the high plains prairies. Of course, back then, when one started it burned until it reached a river (and it can be a _long_ way between them out west) or there was some associated rain w/ a storm or the wind shifted and blew it back into itself.

The Indians would do like the ranchers in early spring to get earlier grazing for the buffalo; it's where they (early ranchers/farmers) learned the "trick". Of course, the Indians also used it as a weapon on occasion.

Last year we had at least a half-dozen on our ground that were started by lightning but all were extinguished shortly by at least enough rain that none got larger than 30-40 acres or so. This year being in the extreme drought conditions we're in, we've had almost no thunderstorms at all the whole year and only one of 10-15 A. It was directly across the road from a house and within a couple of miles of town so it was reported immediately and didn't take the county long to get a truck out and there was just a sprinkle as well so was only a few acres burned. It greened up nicely early after the shower, but has had so little rain all summer that it never did get any growth to speak of on the bare spot and have started to seem some sifting of the ground. Likely will have to go and spread some manure before winter is over unless we get some moisture _real_soon_now_ (tm) which isn't likely as we're going into our typically driest portion of the year.

We're in the D4 Exceptional area in the SW corner of KS that has S KS, most of OK and TX in it's bullseye...

With the advent of settlers there became more sources from human activity but also they worked to put them out so that for large areas the frequency of fire is far reduced from its historic average. I've seen estimates that any given area probably burned at least once every

5-7 years. That combination of fire and relatively low precipitation produced the prairie environment of tall and short grasses depending on land type and annual precipitation and eliminated virtually all woody plants other than along the bottoms in the eastern third or so of the state.
Reply to
dpb

A cloth does go over it but it's not for lighting.

Reply to
Rob H.

Is it an mask for ether?

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Nailed it!

Reply to
Rob H.

2377) Aiming grips and trigger (the knurled surface between the two handles is pressed by either or both thumbs) for a machine gun -- M2, I think.

And I think that this is the remote one which can be used while the weapon is on a low tripod and the operator is standing.

I recently stumbled across this information when looking for an example of the "Manual of Arms" from the period of WW-I. About four days ago, I would not have known this at all.

2378) Perhaps an agricultural sprayer for insecticides?

2379) Looks as though it might be one of the tripod feet from 2377 above.

2380) One of the nicest looking and best made strap wrenches that I have ever seen.

For turning a smooth cylinder without marring it.

2381) A bit small for the first thought of being for boiling corn on the cob.

Perhaps for sterilizing medical instruments by boiling them?

2382) Given its location, I would think that it might be to use water to form a lens to focus illumination (perhaps from a lamp wick or a candle) onto the mirror below the stage of the microscope shown.

O.K. That's all the questions, and all my suggestions.

Now to spell-check this and then post it and go check what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

if 2380 is really a tool for removing oil filters, then there must be some elongation missing. The cord is much too small to surround an oil filter.

2382 i think that the miracleous part is a holder for glas balls, that are used as condensor lens for bright enlightening of the specimen.

greetings from germany Chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

2381 looks like it would hold 2 gallons. It would serve as an ash bucket by a stove or fireplace.
Reply to
J Burns

They've all been correctly identified this week, the answer page can be seen here:

Rob H.