What is it? Set 467

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Happy holidays
Please accept with no obligation, implied or expressed, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious,
socially responsible, low stress, non addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the holiday* of your choice on or about the winter solstice, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all, and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2013, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped to make America great (not to imply that America is greater than any other country or is the only "America" in the western hemisphere) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.
Notice, Disclaimer and Conditions of Greeting:
By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable, provided there is no alteration to the original greeting, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. There is no promise by the wisher, express or implied,to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.
*As used herein, "holiday" is limited to its secular meaning, without regard to its English language derivation from the words "holy day".
Brian Lawson wrote:

I'll see your 'Merry Christmas' and raise you a 'Blessed Christmas'. :-)
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:14:52 -0500, Brian Lawson

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska. You guys can _have_ that white stuff.
--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way up high?
Shrug..I never get to that elevation
Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.
Gunner wrote:

It's hit the mid 20s (F) in Central Florida the last few nights.

It sometimes comes down to visit us here in Oryguns. Luckily, it doesn't stick around most of the time. We're due for 14F temps Thursday night, though. Brrrr! But it kills most of the skeeters.

Watch your email for pics of my new lawn.
--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:36:04 -0800, Larry Jaques

So when do you plant the corn ,come spring? Got enough room there for winter wheat btw
Btw...put a bumper and a pair of headlight housing on the hedge..and maybe a chrome windshield frame. It would look pretty good.
You actually do have enough space there to plant a decent "stacked" garden come spring
Gunner

I'm at a lofty 900' here, dude. <g> (Grants Pass is 960'.)

I've thought about that, lemme tell ya. The West 40 (approx 1/16A) is for my garden. It gets the longest sun.

Nah. I'll have the solar array at the front of the house (where the remaining 2/3 of the birch tree is now) to reduce the length of 12v wiring. I have enough angle iron and pipe to build the adjustable frame now, so I'll TIG it up and install it this winter, before I need it. This 45W system is only for emergency lighting but I might add a leased system to power the whole house some day. It would cost me about the same as electricity does now; maybe a bit more. Luckly, I'm -not- one of the 1,950 people around here who are without electricity for the past 5 days. 60,000 were out but they fixed lots of downed lines after the snowstorm took down a whole bunch of trees. We were relatively untouched out here in the valley. I saw 4 trees down in Grants Pass during a 15 minute drive the other day. It was a thick, wet snow and broke lots of branches. I had a wrist-thick branch hit my roof from the birch. It's going soon, though.
And much more perennial greenery and flower color, plus a few mounds, will go up there. I'll intersperse edible garden goodies there.

Yeah, I do that now in a single raised bed on the West 40. I'll grow lots more next year, JIC. Non-GMO, non-hybrid heirloom seeds are in the mail to me now, as well as a nice little 55cm Japanese tanto. (My Christmas presents to myself.)

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:56:57 -0800, Larry Jaques

Cool!!
This spring Im going to be turning a significant amount of my side yards to "crops" Even thinking about the north 1/4 of the front yard. Make it fun to come up to the house and have corn up tall
<G>
Gunner

http://www.solitude2012.com/images/201204/goods_img/16_P_1335311090848.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/EMERGENCY-FOOD-SURVIVAL-SEED-KIT-PUT-YOUR-FAMILY-1ST-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw /$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUs0mBQDNYCs4p!~~60_57.JPG

Ayup.
Fresh corn outshines store-bought crap by 12x. Man, what a difference. I use organic compost instead of chemical fertilizers and my crops are healthy and productive.
--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 19:31:48 -0800, Larry Jaques

Nice! Hope you got a real one and not a Pakistani version. My son ordered a 3 blade set some years ago..and while it superficially looked like real blades...it was utter crap from Pakistan. Id warned him..but noooo...he wanted "real blades". He certainly didnt get real blades.....
I felt sorry for him and got him a real set. The Paki stuff is up on a shelf somewhere.

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Articles.asp?ID $5&Click 546&gclid=CPOetLyst7QCFWlxQgodnysA4A

Works for me.
Gunner

It's a genuine Chinese "Japanese blade". I made sure of the "full tang" and "practical" aspects before buying. Here's their blurb:
--snip--
Our company is located in the beautiful scenery,Longquan city, which is the city of Chinese swords. Our firm is a professional company mainly producing swords and martial arts equipments; meanwhile, its a excellent emprise of swords industry in Longquan. So far, employs over 50 people, over 10 of which is the R & D personnel. Our company attaches great importance to quality, so as to create the first brand of Chinese swords. Company award is based on the following reasons:
Longquan swords own 2500 years of traditional culture. Longquan is famous for swords and named for porcelain. In the years of Tang Qian Yuan (759), called Zhi County, Though it only owns1250 years, but its history can be traced back the Spring and Autumn and the Warring States Periods, after 2500 years enduring, still stunning. In the Spring and Autumn Period, the founder Ou ZhiZi, came here and made the swords: "Longyuan", "Tai e" "Gongbu" ,which created a precedent of weapons of iron. From then on, Longquan sword skills passed down from generation to generation, enjoying a high reputation athome and abroad. The Chinese famous poet Li Bai highly praises: who Knows such a normal person as me, there is Lung-chuan under the waist."
Our products, by forging, shoveling, filing, engraving, quenching and grinding etc. 28 processes, with its "tough sharp, hard but soft, extremely shining, equisite decoration" as known, have aworded the highly appreciated and praised by State leaders, foreign friends, artists and martial arts.
Our company is rapidly growing, which has cooperated with Zhejiang University to develop and research, will create more new varieties. Besides, the scale and strength of company is being expanding and growing. We believe: Honors witness strength, strength to lead the future. Our company is leading the new trend of Chinese sword and always applying ourselves to the new swords Concept Ideas: a sword, a life.
--snip--

Yeah, condolences. I've seen those 3-pc sets and they're real junk. I didn't do much research the first time and got a nice, shiny, useless, HEAVY, straight katana. It'd take off a head by sheer weight alone, I'm sure. ;( But I'm only out $30 and it's in a pretty, silk-wrapped, dust-collecting box.
I believe the tanto would be well suited as a fallback CQC weapon, plus it's a truly beautiful looking knife. <g>
--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.

This guys stuff LOOKs good, but I dont have a clue if it IS good.
Execution is pretty nice. Though the WW2 blivit is bogus. His feedback is pretty good though
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chenmuw8008/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg 0&_trksid=p3692
One of my working blades came from these people. Ive no complaints about it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/full-hand-Iron-tsuba-1095-carbon-steel-blade-japanese-samurai-katana-sword-JP04-/28104093115
Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.
If you like working tantos..check out Cold Steel on Ebay. Decent blades
Ive carried one of these for almost 25 yrs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLD-STEEL-Original-EARLY-TANTO-Vintage-KNIFE-Dagger-w-sheath-No-Reserve-/150968254462
Still works nicely. <G>
Of course..there is the Good Stuff...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-KOTO-KATANA-BOHI-FULL-POLISH-MOUNTS-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Tsuba-/281030541600

That's a sweetheart! I have it's younger brother, the Kobun. I keep it in the truck because I can't carry in CA, and I want something to keep me safe during trips in the dark. I usually leave at 4am and stop at rest stops in the dark, so I want "company" as insurance. So far, it hasn't been necessary, but I've noticed a couple glances at it on my hip as I head to the head. It's kept outside the jacket so it can't be considered concealed. I don't want the CAstapo coming down on me, either.

I should hope so. <g>

Fine, if you're rich and fight _out_side. A tanto is short enough to work overhanded inside a room without hitting the ceiling.
I finished up a project today. Extra 9W LEDs in an MR16 case went onto a self-fabbed 1/2" conduit handle on top of the RatSnack project box.
It has a DPDT switch halfway populated. Forward is to light up the 48LED array room brightener. Back is to light up the 9W spot. Array puts out around 380 lumens, spot about 560 lumens. Both are bright white/daylight, 5000-6500K. No yellow shit for me. ;)
There is a 12v jack to charge it with my old spotlight wallwart.
Inside is a 5AH SLA battery, so it should be capable of some real long runtimes.
The handle is taped with self-vulcanizing rubber tape. I have more money into it than I'd hoped (about $28, but I wanted something big and bright, and I figure it cost me maybe 1/4 of what a prefab light would. And they all have much smaller batteries, shorter runtimes, and no secondary array for room lighting.
I need to secure the bulb a bit better, and maybe make it swivel, but that's for tomorrow...
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com/LED/SearchlightFront.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com/LED/SearchlightBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com/LED/SearchlightArrayLit.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com/LED/SearchlightSpotLit.jpg
--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:28:53 -0800, Larry Jaques

Check out the auctions from these people
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=mountainclmbr&_ipg 0&rt=nc
They used to be auctions, but are now "buy it now" but the prices arent half bad. About 25-50% of US retail prices.
There is a Chinese company I buy a lot of blades from, but evidently he is on Chinese Holiday as he doesnt have any blades at the moment. Ive mentioned him before. When he gets back..Ill post a link to his stuff.
In California..any good folder with a blade smaller than 3.75" is legal. So I generally carry a couple folders. My everyday knife comes from AutoZone...laugh..a S&W tactical that just went up to $11.00
I must have bought 20 of them over the last 5 yrs and given them away..they were $9.
This is what I carry most often in the back pocket...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-Tactical-Defense-Karambit-Hawkbill-Pocket-Folder-G10-Handle-Knife-/300833035730
Shrug...its not a "great" knife..but made well enough and holds an ok edge. Bad people tend to walk away when you start cleaning your nails with it and smiling at them. Shrug Decent enough Krambit.
These arent half bad either
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRKT-Hammond-Tactical-Cruiser-Folder-Desert-Handle-Knife-Plain-Edge-/270951838202
Go to ebay and enter ASU8 and some pretty usable knives come up.
Btw...Ive reordered and reordered these. All my buds have them now and really like them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIRAT-SHARP-TYPICAL-RUSSIAN-4-8MM-BLADE-HUNTING-KNIFE-H64-/200869241901
A VERY versatile fixed blade. Sheaths are so so..but are of a perfect size (for me) for a utility blade. Ive been buying a AUS8 copy from my Chinese regular..marked a bit differently...these above are 440c, but very well done.
And oddly enough..they make a pretty decent neck knife. Almost too big..but not quite..so hang nicely. Snag one..you will be tickled with em.
These I gave away for Christmas this year. A pretty damned nice folder..though no pocket clip
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-6-Handmade-Large-Typical-Russian-Pocket-Folding-Knife-Camping-Hunting-Knife-/110843374529
They are longer than legal for a "pocket knife" in Cali..but I sewed some ballistic nylon simple belt pouches..cost nearly nothing to do...shrug. An unusual and decent blade. Good lock back.

Thats pretty cool!! Gonna machine a housing for the lens and array?
Gunner

I picked up a karambit for the truck, complete with glass popper and seatbelt cutter. It's velcroed to my steering column, in reach of my hands after a wreck, hopefully. They're mean looking knives, but damned practical, too. I doubt my "fireman's karambit" is worth a hoot at $3.80, but it'll do the job once in an emergency, I'm sure.

I picked up a cheaparse little United Sub Commander for a neck knife. Cutest little 2.75" long blade ya ever did see. I take it hiking
I wrote:

I had thought to leave the array stuck on as-is. It's 3M acrylic- adhesived doublesided tape. I used denatured alcohol to remove any mold release agents prior to sticking it on. I don't want to lose any of the light from it, so I probably won't cover it.
For the MR16 bulb, I've been looking for minimalist ways to secure it. The aluminum housing needs to breathe, as it is the heatsink. But turning a lens cover is an interesting idea. I'll see if my buddy (with the machine shop) has some more pistons floating around for casting up a suitable (dare I say it?) billet. ;)
--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.

I can't help but think someone with a dremel drew that hamon on there... ("created by full hand polishing" is a giveaway.)
--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:33:39 -0800, Larry Jaques

Or clay lined and then hit it with a bead blaster <G>
Gunner

That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a katana. I figured that I'd never be able to learn to use it properly.

Ideally, the blades are clay-baked, but look at it. Rather than the entire edge (ha), it seems to be just a line of various thickness on the side of the blade, not extending to the cutting edge as I see on expensive blades. The ha is not the same color as the line, which I read is the differential hardening. Anyway, I just hope our blades are well made. We pays our moneys and we takes our chances, eh, cher? Whoooeee, dem's some purty knives.
--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.

Just hung the puppies out the back door and there was about an inch on the ground with the odd flake still comming down.
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:05:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote: