What is it? Set 467

All gone by noon Christmas day

Reply to
grmiller

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com on Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:05:52 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Ya know, you never hear about the even flakes?

Do they even exist?

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich Nothing says loving like a bun in the oven. EOF

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

All flakes are a little odd in some way or another.

Look at Leftwingers.

Humm...those tend to be flakes And nuts

  1. Lie
Gunner

It's a genuine Chinese "Japanese blade". I made sure of the "full tang" and "practical" aspects before buying. Here's their blurb:

--snip--

Our company is located in the beautiful scenery,Longquan city, which is the city of Chinese swords. Our firm is a professional company mainly producing swords and martial arts equipments; meanwhile, it?s a excellent emprise of swords industry in Longquan. So far, employs over

50 people, over 10 of which is the R & D personnel. Our company attaches great importance to quality, so as to create the first brand of Chinese swords. Company award is based on the following reasons:

Longquan swords own 2500 years of traditional culture. Longquan is famous for swords and named for porcelain. In the years of Tang Qian Yuan (759), called Zhi County, Though it only owns1250 years, but its history can be traced back the Spring and Autumn and the Warring States Periods, after 2500 years enduring, still stunning. In the Spring and Autumn Period, the founder Ou ZhiZi, came here and made the swords: "Longyuan", "Tai e" "Gongbu" ,which created a precedent of weapons of iron. From then on, Longquan sword skills passed down from generation to generation, enjoying a high reputation athome and abroad. The Chinese famous poet Li Bai highly praises: ?who Knows such a normal person as me, there is Lung-chuan under the waist."

Our products, by forging, shoveling, filing, engraving, quenching and grinding etc. 28 processes, with its "tough sharp, hard but soft, extremely shining, equisite decoration" as known, have aworded the highly appreciated and praised by State leaders, foreign friends, artists and martial arts.

Our company is rapidly growing, which has cooperated with Zhejiang University to develop and research, will create more new varieties. Besides, the scale and strength of company is being expanding and growing. We believe: Honors witness strength, strength to lead the future. Our company is leading the new trend of Chinese sword and always applying ourselves to the new swords Concept Ideas: a sword, a life.

--snip--

Yeah, condolences. I've seen those 3-pc sets and they're real junk. I didn't do much research the first time and got a nice, shiny, useless, HEAVY, straight katana. It'd take off a head by sheer weight alone, I'm sure. ;( But I'm only out $30 and it's in a pretty, silk-wrapped, dust-collecting box.

I believe the tanto would be well suited as a fallback CQC weapon, plus it's a truly beautiful looking knife.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you count them, they will come.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This guys stuff LOOKs good, but I dont have a clue if it IS good.

Execution is pretty nice. Though the WW2 blivit is bogus. His feedback is pretty good though

One of my working blades came from these people. Ive no complaints about it

Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.

If you like working tantos..check out Cold Steel on Ebay. Decent blades

Ive carried one of these for almost 25 yrs

Still works nicely.

Of course..there is the Good Stuff...

  1. Lie
Gunner

That's a sweetheart! I have it's younger brother, the Kobun. I keep it in the truck because I can't carry in CA, and I want something to keep me safe during trips in the dark. I usually leave at 4am and stop at rest stops in the dark, so I want "company" as insurance. So far, it hasn't been necessary, but I've noticed a couple glances at it on my hip as I head to the head. It's kept outside the jacket so it can't be considered concealed. I don't want the CAstapo coming down on me, either.

I should hope so.

Fine, if you're rich and fight _out_side. A tanto is short enough to work overhanded inside a room without hitting the ceiling.

I finished up a project today. Extra 9W LEDs in an MR16 case went onto a self-fabbed 1/2" conduit handle on top of the RatSnack project box.

It has a DPDT switch halfway populated. Forward is to light up the

48LED array room brightener. Back is to light up the 9W spot. Array puts out around 380 lumens, spot about 560 lumens. Both are bright white/daylight, 5000-6500K. No yellow shit for me. ;)

There is a 12v jack to charge it with my old spotlight wallwart.

Inside is a 5AH SLA battery, so it should be capable of some real long runtimes.

The handle is taped with self-vulcanizing rubber tape. I have more money into it than I'd hoped (about $28, but I wanted something big and bright, and I figure it cost me maybe 1/4 of what a prefab light would. And they all have much smaller batteries, shorter runtimes, and no secondary array for room lighting.

I need to secure the bulb a bit better, and maybe make it swivel, but that's for tomorrow...

Larry Jaques

I can't help but think someone with a dremel drew that hamon on there... ("created by full hand polishing" is a giveaway.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Check out the auctions from these people

They used to be auctions, but are now "buy it now" but the prices arent half bad. About 25-50% of US retail prices.

There is a Chinese company I buy a lot of blades from, but evidently he is on Chinese Holiday as he doesnt have any blades at the moment. Ive mentioned him before. When he gets back..Ill post a link to his stuff.

In California..any good folder with a blade smaller than 3.75" is legal. So I generally carry a couple folders. My everyday knife comes from AutoZone...laugh..a S&W tactical that just went up to $11.00

I must have bought 20 of them over the last 5 yrs and given them away..they were $9.

This is what I carry most often in the back pocket...

Shrug...its not a "great" knife..but made well enough and holds an ok edge. Bad people tend to walk away when you start cleaning your nails with it and smiling at them. Shrug Decent enough Krambit.

These arent half bad either

Go to ebay and enter ASU8 and some pretty usable knives come up.

Btw...Ive reordered and reordered these. All my buds have them now and really like them.

A VERY versatile fixed blade. Sheaths are so so..but are of a perfect size (for me) for a utility blade. Ive been buying a AUS8 copy from my Chinese regular..marked a bit differently...these above are 440c, but very well done.

And oddly enough..they make a pretty decent neck knife. Almost too big..but not quite..so hang nicely. Snag one..you will be tickled with em.

These I gave away for Christmas this year. A pretty damned nice folder..though no pocket clip

They are longer than legal for a "pocket knife" in Cali..but I sewed some ballistic nylon simple belt pouches..cost nearly nothing to do...shrug. An unusual and decent blade. Good lock back.

Thats pretty cool!! Gonna machine a housing for the lens and array?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Or clay lined and then hit it with a bead blaster

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I picked up a karambit for the truck, complete with glass popper and seatbelt cutter. It's velcroed to my steering column, in reach of my hands after a wreck, hopefully. They're mean looking knives, but damned practical, too. I doubt my "fireman's karambit" is worth a hoot at $3.80, but it'll do the job once in an emergency, I'm sure.

I picked up a cheaparse little United Sub Commander for a neck knife. Cutest little 2.75" long blade ya ever did see. I take it hiking

I wrote:

I had thought to leave the array stuck on as-is. It's 3M acrylic- adhesived doublesided tape. I used denatured alcohol to remove any mold release agents prior to sticking it on. I don't want to lose any of the light from it, so I probably won't cover it.

For the MR16 bulb, I've been looking for minimalist ways to secure it. The aluminum housing needs to breathe, as it is the heatsink. But turning a lens cover is an interesting idea. I'll see if my buddy (with the machine shop) has some more pistons floating around for casting up a suitable (dare I say it?) billet. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a katana. I figured that I'd never be able to learn to use it properly.

Ideally, the blades are clay-baked, but look at it. Rather than the entire edge (ha), it seems to be just a line of various thickness on the side of the blade, not extending to the cutting edge as I see on expensive blades. The ha is not the same color as the line, which I read is the differential hardening. Anyway, I just hope our blades are well made. We pays our moneys and we takes our chances, eh, cher? Whoooeee, dem's some purty knives.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A little late from me but the same to you and yours and the RCM non-trolls!

Reply to
Wes

Welcome back, Wes. :)

Reply to