What is it? Set 468

Correct, although for some people the broken pieces actually have a purpose, as described in the answers here:

Rob H.
[ ... ]

How about for extracting spent primers? Put the shell base down, put in a piece which slides in the upper sleeve and has a pin at the bottom end to push the primer out between the tines of the fork. For this to work, we want the bore of the upper sleeve to be machined smooth.

The size is not clear enough to be sure whether it is for something smaller and short like handgun cartridges, or somewhat larger and longer like shotgun shells.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

There are test images available for download which are usually a bar of gray steps from fully white to fully black. You display one of these and adjust the brightness and the contrast so you can just barely tell the end steps from the next one in from that end. That should give you a standard setting -- and then the problem is whether everyone else has bothered to do the same sort of thing. Such is important when processing digital images (from digital cameras or scanned from chemical process photos).

Even better is if you also have the ability to adjust the gamma (the curve from the darkest end to the lightest end) to a standard. CRTs have a different gamma by default than LCD or plasma monitors, so the adjustment needs to be made for each.

There are things available for calibrating monitors (at least one is called a "spider") which is good if you have a driver program for it for your OS. They are available for Windows and Macs, but harder to find for machines like my Sun workstations. So I have to set the contrast and brightness first, and then adjust the gamma by a command line option to get a known good image to look good on my screen.

Here is a URL for a site which walks you through the calibration (and warns you about thinks to avoid):

It looks like a good one for me to get -- and use at least on my Mac, if not on my Suns.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I just heard back from the owner, they said, "The top hole is 1in. And 4 and one half inches to the bottom slot."

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks, I'm heading out tonight but this weekend I'll take a look at some of the calibration tests on the web.

Reply to
Rob H.

That is just amazing. Never would have thought that possible. I guess the sharp edge of the ceramic is lethal to the glass.

Reply to
tiredofspam