What is it? Set 489

The arms look like metal to me, since several people suggested it was a cutting board I sent an email to the owner asking if there are any knife marks on it, I'll post his reply when I get it.

The owner described the button as a simple buzzer so I would say that it's an electrical PB.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmmm. I thought about 2847 being some kind of anchor but rejected this as the wire ring securing the post to the plate would shear off too easily. Art

Reply to
Artemus

That's a good point, I still consider this one to be unsolved though sometimes I still post the most common guess, hopefully we'll get the definitive answer for it in the near future.

Reply to
Rob H.

Pretty funny, btw I did hear back from the owner who sent the actual size of the copper crushers: Mean length, uncompressed .3998", Mean diameter, uncompressed .2260"

Reply to
Rob H.

2849 I can not go along with that being called a tooth. I have been a ag mechanic for 40 years and anyone in farming in the midwest calls them guards,knife guards or some are rock guards or stub guards (no top bar or point on them). If you look at any John Deere parts catalog you will only find guards, no tooth. Keep up the good work, I look forward to your pictures every week. Ralph
Reply to
Ralph

I guess you can tell that I'm not a farmer, I went ahead and changed my answer this morning to guard, it does sound like a more official name. Though there are plenty of hits on Google for both sickle bar mower teeth and sickle bar mower finger, I agree that guard is a better term for it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I considered that in my suggested answer, and said that if there were recesses in between the post and the barrel around it to allow concrete to flow in and set, this would make up for that.

Even wrenching down seriously on that large nut at the top could shear the wire ring without something else helping.

It would probably be strong enough if the load were intended to be a guy wire, pulling at an angle (say 45 degrees) instead of straight up. And the spread of the base would make that pretty likely.

A photo of it disassembled would help greatly.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

O.K. Way too large for my second suggestion (the pin tumblers). Mean diameter would have to be closer to 0.100" for that to work. Good thing that I made that the second guess -- based on other criteria. :-)

Thanks, DoN.