Subject Author Posted Replies

The whys and wherefores of tube bending
There has been some discussion on tube bending here. Clearly there is a difference in types of tools for pipe vs. tube bending as some have found out the hard way. But even with tube benders there are...

life expectancy with thrust load on radial bearing
My question is about life expectancy on following linear slide setup: Two parallel 5/16 rods and a slide that uses a pair of small plain ball bearings(5mmx12mmx5mm) on the same axel with the spacer...
6
6

Scrap Roller Acquisition
Saw these rollers from some type of offset printing press at the scrap yard and of course, I couldn't see them go to waste. Got about ten cylinders, the largest were 12" diameter, 1/2" wall thickness...

Bletchley Park and the Enigma
In my recent trip to the UK, I had a chance to go to Bletchley Park where they cracked the Enigma code used by the Germans in W.W.II. Bletchley Park itself was just saved from being bulldozed for a...
37
37

Safe T-section chopping technique ?
I need to make a stock rack and was thinking of using T-section as the vertical supports. Say 2 x 2 x 1/4 or maybe slightly bigger in 1/4. I have a 14" dry cut saw and was wondering if there are any...
2
2

Shop Power
I am starting to plan the power for my new shop which will be 65 feet away from the house and across the driveway. The shop will run off the 200 Amp service for the main house. The total cable length...
24
24

machine tools for sale Southern MS
I am moving near Kennedy Space Center in FL soon. I have decided to sell my machines and replace them later, rather than move them, as I have to build a shop. These machines are in Ocean Springs, MS...
6
6

Abrasion resistant steel?
I am seeking advice for abrasion resistant steel. One guy recommends S-7, I'm not very familiar with S-7. I'm thinking 0-1, D-2, Stellite coated cold-roll. The application is for guides for...
3
3

gas or not?
Hello everyone, I'm in the market for an oxy-acetylene welding/cutting set but I have a few questions before I make my purchase. I have done some stick welding before but never used gas so I'm a...
11
11

Need Advice for Fabricating Engine Support Bridge
I am trying to design and fabricate an Engine Support Bridge. For those not familiar this would be similar in function to a hoist but it is a framework that would fit over the engine (in a car or...
3
3

Cap iron screw
Hello all, I've been looking for a source for cap iron - or chip breaker - screws for hand planes. The closest thing I could find was something called a cheese head screw, but could only find that in...
5
5

relief valve or back pressure regulator
Can someone please explain the difference between pressure relief valves and back pressure regulators? They both seem to function the same way with the same internal structure but a GO (Circle Seal)...
4
4

Source for 1" white acrylic sheet
Source for 1" white acrylic sheet Who sell's 1 inch (or 24mm) thick white acrylic sheet? Clear seems readiliy available, but the white color (not translucent) has proven hard to find. Also, I'm...
5
5

Diesel engines--valve adjustments
Several days ago I posted a query about what to look for when buying a boat with a diesel engine and got lots of useful advice. When looking at the boat, the owner said "I just had the valves...
12
12

Miller control cables
Was just wondering if the pinouts on the 14 and 17 amphenol control cables are straight through? That is, A->A, B->B, C->C, etc...? It looks like only 9 pins are used, A-E,G,I,J,K. I'd rather roll my...
6
6