Subject Author Posted Replies

AR-15 Test Fire
I test fired the AR-15 today, 29 rounds with no problems (except for dropping 1 round, metal detector to come out later, have to locate some brass too!). I shot up a can from fairly close range, need...
61
61

How to test an AC servo motor
I have been doing a fair amount of scrapping CNC equipment, lately. It works out great, typically just the ironplus copper wires pays me back 2x what I pay for the machine, and then I am left with...
4
4

More 4140 questions
Almost finished with the part ... OK , what this part is , it's a sleeve that goes on a motor that runs an oilless compressor . This sleeve needs to be press fit on the motor shaft as it transmits all...
9
9

pulleys R us
I need a pulley, no go in grainger, MSC, and mcmaster carr. where would you try next? If it matters, "A" only(or 4L) size belt (everybody has went to dual A and B on same pulley), 3.15" OD, two...
13
13

Old Compressor
Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no make or model on it....
7
7

North Korean leader plans attack on US mainland
Real video of him planning the attack and smoking at the same time. The generals are standing while he sits, I guess it is their protocol.
3
3

4140 internal stresses
I just got to wondering about internal stresses in 4140 round stock . I'm making a part for an oilless compressor , and have it roughed a bit oversize . I know that some steels develop internal stress...
18
18

Question about diaphragm pumps
I have a question, I have a diaphragm pump here and I have never used one before. When I supply air to this particular one, it seems to work internally, but there is barely any suction or pressure on...
4
4

end mill holder accuracy
This all revolves around a Sherline mill, so it's tiny. Mine came with some small collets and a 3/8" endmill holder that threads onto the spindle with a 3/4-16 thread. The holder itself is just a...
15
15

What is it? Set 488
This week's set has been posted: Rob
24
24

Kinda' OT: good deal on lye
The use of lye as a paint stripper has been discussed here, so this post is not too far OT. Essential Depot has lye on sale for $1.99/ 2 lb bottle (through Friday). That is a great price. But the...
3
3

Will this warp?
I'm going to machine a large part of one side of flat bar al, 3" x .3, the part is 4" long. Two, mirrored, to be placed face to face. This is not a particularly high strengh item - any particular...
1
1

The First
Payin' job should leave my "new" shop tomorrow ! In the last few months I've been moving equipment , carport , and stuff to Mountain View AR . Today I altered the mounting config on a supercharger for...
36
36

303 protectant smell
Does anybody know what the smell in 303 aerospace protectant is? it reminds me of the distinct smell of a wooden pencil. The other question would be what is the strong smell in some pencils?
4
4

high-speed spindles
I need to equip my R2E4 with an add-on high-speed spindle for drilling and milling PCB prototypes. The little 1.5KW water-cooled spindles from China look attractive. With one of those, a matching...
30
30