Subject Author Posted Replies

Pictures of this strange winch
11

Measuring the CFM of a fan
Maybe OT, but not as much as many. I have a fairly large centrifugal blower (squirrel cage) & I'd like to know its CFM. It has a well defined opening, so knowing the velocity of the air is what I...

Bad single phase motor? Diagnostic?
I have seen a few single phase motors that acted badly, but not like this. I am fixing a few things that I did not have time to fix. One is a cable winch, powered by a single phase 1 HP motor. The...
7
7

80 year old waterpump that still works
the company is still around also. I want to look THAT good at the age of this pump. i
39
39

13' Boston Whaler Restoration
Hey All: A neighbor of mine on the pond I live has offered me a free use of a 13' Boston Whaler, if I can fix it up... I dinna know a lot about those things, but free is free. It's got a couple of...
6
6

The last hole
Today, I thought I'd make the rear barrel plate for my gatlingun. Simple round disk with an array of 10 threaded holes, a central hole for a hex bushing and a dowel pin hole at 12 o'clock. Easiest way...
13
13

OT Responsible millionaires for higher taxes
certainly share their sentiment. Taxes should reflect expenses. Look what is happening in Greece, who thought otherwise. Low taxes are a gimmick, since debts cannot grow to the sky, eventually...
20
20

Smithy Change Gears
included the Scilab file that generates the LaTeX to make the pdf, but either that fell into the bit bucket or it isn't up yet. It should have fancy headers and footers, that puff off my business --...

Rolltop
"German concept laptop"
1
1

MIG at home garage legality
I'm a newbie to welding... Just wondering if I need to notify town authorities if I was to set up a small MIG kit in my garage to weld stainless sculptures for resale. What I'm afraid of is that they...
42
42

Leaking 1/2" union -- face on a lathe?
Awl -- It's an old-style union (flat mating faces), immediately on my compressor, with the controls and fittings on that. Should be a quick job, if it will work... will save me a trip to the store....
15
15

Tile in garage?
Would you use this in a workshop/garage?
12
12

Dropbox Question
I just finished an exercise in automatically generating a LaTeX file from Scilab, to make a change gear table for my Smithy for all the thread pitches listed as standard in Machinery's Handbook. For...
1
1

Unpleasant certain excpected disappointment with Bridgeport
The service woman got back to me and said ``This is a machine that was built exclusively in the UK. They are not supported in the U.S. and we can not get any manuals. However, there is a possibility...
7
7

Battery drill external battery pack
Have you ever built a battery drill, using a dead cordless drill, and external battery pack? For a while, I was saving a 12 volt drill that was dead. I save it, becuase I figured I could put a length...
29
29