Subject Author Posted Replies

Westec Cruising 2010
Went to Westec Tuesday. It was held in the South Hall just like the 2009 Westec. There may have been a few more booths than last year but nothing like in it's heyday years where it filled two large...
7
7

Machine safety
Wonder if this could be implemented on other machine tools?
22
22

Need help with hydraulic cyl rebuild
I recently inherited an old Raymond fork truck and the hydraulic cylinder that does the lifting is leaking badly. The ram appears in good shape, I can see no gouges or grooves and it doesn't seem to...
8
8

Advice on truck
I have available a silver 2006 f-150 4 door short bed for 7,000. It is a leased vehicle for a company that my dad works at and has 136,000 miles on it. Is this a good deal? Are these dependable? My...
14
14

Advice on bit type?
For quite a while now I have been trying to find letter size bits that will drill well in thin materials, such as 1/16" aluminum. It's hard enough to find fractional sizes, but DeWalt pilot point seem...
6
6

Little project: a repair part for a friend
A high school classmate was told her old Crawford garage door opener is not repairable because the plastic clip that failed is no longer available. Sure it is, if you know a machinist! But wait,...
30
30

Am I a fool to buy this mill/drill?
Need some advice, here... I occasionally wish I had a small mill, but can't really afford to go out and buy one. I was going to modify my 7x14 mini-lathe to accept a small vertically mounted vise...
77
77

Why do razor blades get dull so fast?
Is there some abrasive in my beard? Is the water corroding the edge? Could they make razors with carbide?
85
85

Looking for non-sticky expanding foam
I want to make a mould for a clear headlamp cover on a sports car. The body is unpainted (right now) frp, If I could fill the 'socket" in the front of the car with an expanding foam and work it into...
9
9

Advice on laminate/hardwood flooring
I have solid hardwood Bruce flooring in my dinning room/kitchen. It was laid about 4 years ago. It is called "Gunstock". The carpet in my adjoining dinning room and adjacent hallway is showing it's...
6
6

FS - 2 X 48 sanding belts
In my continuing effort to clear some stuff out and reclaim some space, I have a few 2x48 belt sander belts for sale. I'm not even sure why I have these as I have never owned a 2x48 machine. Anyhow,...

Surface Plates
Surface Plates are often made of granite. Why don't they make them from harder rock ?
22
22

OT - work shoes
My $15 Walmart working man's sneakers are gone flat, again. No cushion, and it's about like being barefoot. I did a froogle search for postal shoes. Those guys on their feet all day, must have good...
24
24

Big electric motors and little VFD's
I got a good deal on a couple of little VFD's. They take 120 volt single phase and put out 240 volt 3 phase and are not very big, but they are only rated for 1/4 hp. And me without any 1/4 hp three...
9
9

labelling plastic parts bins
I have a number of plastic parts bins purchased from Global. I want to put some adhesive backed computer generated labels on the bins. The labels peel off after about a week. Any ideas on what...
25
25