Subject Author Posted Replies

Enco turret lathe
I just made an offer to buy an Enco turret lathe. I don't have much information on it. Is it correct that these are used to machine parts in runs too short to justify CNC production? Also, can a...
6
6

Blacksmithing Vise Repair
I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to...
3
3

Inneresting Baldor Motor
Awl -- Did Baldor munge a 5 hp 3 ph into a big-assed 5 hp *single phase*?? Nice motor, of course. But with *3* large oil-filled caps, like what you would find on an rpc. AND it's reversible! Which...
1
1

OT- pissed about Chinese products
(Dear Lowes, Inc.) I filed a complaint with Hinkle Chair Company about their "Garden Treasures" rocking chairs. They (and I suspect you have required them to) hide any evidence that the chairs are...
10
10

Mini come alongs
At times, I need to tweak some metal a little to weld or bend into position. I have used a combination of things; come alongs, ratcheting chain binders, turnbuckles in conjunction with nylon straps,...
8
8

RPC - ganging smaller motors possible?
I'll be picking up my Bridgeport 2 HP 2J in a couple of weeks, so it's time to start working on a rotary phase converter. I know that my ideal size is 3 HP for the converter. There's a possibility of...
15
15

www: HF owner's manuals archived; URL formula
Hee hee! What fun. I needed a manual for my 47802 Power Pack from Harbor Freight so I cobbled the URL and bypassed the web site's notice that "This item is discontinued. No further information is...
8
8

Another DC motor question
Have a 3 HP permanent magnet DC motor I need to nurse back to life for three days. Opened it up and the glaringly obvious problem is one of the ten magnets is broken in half. Semi-circular, with five...
5
5

Battery question
My grandkids have this ATV. It's plastic, and runs on a 12v 8AH battery that won't charge any more. I haven't priced them, but they're probably proprietary and spendy. Would a common...
23
23

Die lift table
Found a die lift table today, 1,000 lbs capacity, it has four threaded posts, similar to this lift:
9
9

Fans of "How it's Made"
http://www.shopfloor.org/category/coolstuffbeingmade/
17
17

Frozen compressor
I attempted to post this earlier but it has not appeared. Hope it doesn't pop up twice. I recently bought a military surplus 2 stage Curtis-Toledo compressor driven by about a 12HP B&S engine. I...
17
17

Hydraulic motors
Hi All, I see hydraulic motors are rated in "inch ounces". I have no idea what that means in the real world. Can someone give me an idea of how powerful a 600 in.oz. motor is in terms I can relate to?...
30
30

Regulation and govt sponsorship at heart of Fannie collapse
Here's a great article, proving my earlier point about how the "government sponsored" mortgage giants were forced to take on too much risk and deepened the housing bubble.
4
4

cost of junk metal
I'm giving serious consideration to taking up gas welding/brazing to try my hand at metal sculpturing. Today I called a local welding supply and the last question I asked was where would someone like...
7
7