Subject Author Posted Replies

Caliper Extender
-- Has anyone ever used one of these? I need to measure some parts that are 24" +/- .005 and don't have a large enough vernier. Would it just be better to bite the bullet and get a large vernier?...
7
7

LR44/SR44
Was it somebody here that has too many LR44/SR44 coin cells, excess of which are for sale? It's time to replace batteries in micrometer and HP calculator.
9
9

Clausing 5914 - spindle bearing preload adjustment
From "Re: Continuing lathe chatter (from people now, not the lathe)" posted 4 June 2008 by Joe Gwinn: This does seem to be happening, and rather quickly at that. It has become noticeably easier to...
5
5

fa - here's a project for someone who needs a vacuum pump
Here is a vacuum pump that I'm not going to fix - needs a new motor stator (in fact right now the stator is not even there) - but it's an expensive pump for someone who would like to tackle a project...
1
1

Clothes line poles
Dumb Question (tm) regarding clothes like poles... I thought it would be easy to find stuff to make a big "T" gor a clothes line, but... local suppliers don't seem to carry anything but nipples and...
20
20

help with sandpaper
I have some sandpaper. It says it is wet/dry. What does this mean? Can I used it wet OR dry? Will it make less dust if I use it wet? Can I wet it with water, or do I need special sandpaper fluid? I...
17
17

Turret Head on Automatic Drill Machines?
Anyone ever see one of these: smaller!) ...on an automatic drill like I sell? Specifically with a MT2 or Jacob's driver? I have a customer who is adamant that thy exist and he wants one... But for the...
2
2

water heater
I have a water heater that I do not want to be stationary. Can I drill holes in the bottom and use strong casters, so that I can move it around? It is a 40 gallon unit, and uses natural gas. I have...
11
11

Dial Indicators - Brand Name Comparison
Found this. Didn't write it. Don't know if it's correct. Dial indicator brand comparison including Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Federal, and Mahr.
15
15

Submersible pump question
One of my submersible pumps went out Friday, blows the fuses nicely on startup. 1 hp Red Jacket pump with the control topside. I get infinite resistance from all motor wires to ground (GOOD!), 14 ohms...
14
14

Metal brake question
Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides bent 90 degrees, so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides,...
5
5

get rid of Windows nags
My CNC control doesn't work with windows updates on or virus software in place... Somebody (I think "the kid" but maybe me) accidentally turned the updates on and it crashed the control. Its too easy...
25
25

Who has the stampings to make/modify truck racks?
I need to modify the rack to get my utility-bed truck ready to work out of, and the local Truck Body builders want too much for their custom work - and I can do the fabrication and welding myself IF I...
1
1

Started installing the DRO on my Bridgeport
Some time ago I bought a Uniq three axis DRO for 9x42 milling machines like my Bridgeport. I reasoned that if I went with a DRO, the added expense of the third axis is not that much. So I got a three...
9
9

Tramming the mill
Got the new machine set up on it's base today , and checking it out , cleaning , getting it ready to use . I chucked a rod with a dial indicator mounted on it in the drill chuck , just to see ... It's...
16
16