Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Turning spring steel (piano wire)
Hi, I need to make a few adaptors in 5mm spring steel (piano wire) and have run into a problem, the parts are very simple being a 4mm section around 4cm long with the rest of the 6cm overall length...
6
6

OT: Calling chemists - water softening
I have a Karcher diesel steam cleaner, that can flash water to steam at any temperature up to 210 deg C. Simple coil with a diesel flame up the middle (actually down the middle!) with a single...
22
22

re J&S 540
I cant see my original post, or the replies. I checked, and then found them on the newsgroup via yahoo,so sorry if no response earlier. Not the first time this has happened with Outlook express Thanks...

Keeping an outdoor workshop dry
Hello, I'm a newbie here so please don't jump down my throat. Now that I'm retired I want to set up a dedicated workshop. The Management says I can't have any more hobby space indoors, so my options...
11
11

Drilling & Tapping
Hello, I need to drill & tap an M4 0.7 x 15mm hole in the ends of a few high tensile 8.8 steel bolts. I've been using a 3.2mm drill followed by a HSS tap from a cheap box set with limited success,...
36
36

MIG Welding Gas from your Cars Exhaust
do you guys think this is possible what with the high price of bottle rental now and the gas and the surcharge i thought this may be possible my car runs on propane can I suppose, stick a rubber pipe...
11
11

J & S 540 grinder question
Noticed yesterday that the old J&S 540 surface grinder, which doesn't get used much, was acting strange. When the cross table traverse feed is in use, it slows down the x axis power feed? I checked,...
6
6

Looking for a calculator
As per subject. I want one for the workshop with big buttons and a large display so i can see it without diving for my specs (mildly longsighted) Ideally I'd operate this in a ploy back to keep out...
21
21

Brazing
Help please About fifty years ago I remember using a brazing torch that was fuelled by town gas and compressed air. Recently I was doing a job where my largest brazing torch, fuelled by my Camping Gaz...
26
26

Stepperhead
Hi Guys I thought I would show off my efforts for your comments (cringe). Over the past few years I have been designing and building a variation on the Metalmaster. It is made from solid cast iron...
15
15

Universal neat cutting oil
Looking to source a drum of neat cutting oil, and would appreciate comments from other users as to type / source / cost etc. Ideally I want a 'one size fits all' solution to save carrying umpteen...
14
14

Road trip
Doing Broxburn,Briston,Kingston upon Thames,Broxburn this weekend with 3500kg self loading pickup.Have some space both ways but no time for long detours/holdups. Mark.
1
1

FYI tool and cutter regrinding
It's an old problem, I've got a Kennet but quite frankly it, and I, have limits when it comes to regrinding end mill cutters. From commercial shop experience I know all about commercial re- grinding,...

MEW and ME
I see that David Clark the editor of MEW has now taken over the editorship of ME as well. Hopefully it may breath some fresh life into that magazine as it has been going downhill rapidly of late.
18
18

Accurate pillar drill
Looking for a better pillar drill (perhaps with an XY moveable table, but ..) for more accurate work. Don't need huge, eg 12mm capacity will do fine and bench not floor, but do need _accurate_. Got...
1
1