Accounts software

Apologies for the OT post, but I know there will be people reading this list who may be able to advise. I'm quite happy to receive replies off-list.

I need some new accounts software. I've been using Quicken & quickinvoice since I first got a computer (10 years at least). I upgraded to quicken 98 in, I suppose, 98. Intuit had abandoned Quickinvoice by then, but I have managed to get it to work with quicken 98 & have used it since, the two do everything I need - basically somewhere to record transactions, prepare invoices, and produce summaries at the stroke of a key for the taxman & VATman. I don't need anything fancier, I object to Intuit trying to persuade customers they need new software every year. I didn't get on at all with the invoicing facilities within Q98 which is why I've stuck with quickinvoice.

The immediate problem is that quickinvoice must need a fair chunk of good old base memory to start, and having recently installed Norton

2003 that evidently 'gets there first', and I'm unable to start quickinvoice other than in safe mode, where I can't print from it. I'm also concerned that one day I may need to reinstall it all, & may not be able to.

Any suggestions, either a) for some straightforward software to do what I need, and/or b) for a way to be able to start Quickinvoice properly, or even to print from safe mode?

The 'business' is just me, plus my wife & a.n.Other part-time as required. I'm running Win 98 SE, & not planning to change that until I have to. I am VAT registered, but no longer need to be so *might* deregister before too long.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

You might get a better answer in a forum dedicated to either Norton or Quicken products, but I`ve found that Norton likes to install lots of stuff that runs unnecessarily on startup ( system info, crashguards etc ). Have a look in your system tray and see what Norton services are running. Turn them off and see if it makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling your display drivers - I've had glitches with Norton software and display drivers before.

As a last resort, you could always install a boot manager and run two operating systems...with one geared up to suit Quicken. Bit overkill though, but it would work.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Tim,

I've been using version 3 of Sage accounts for years and found it very good and robust. However having recently upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional find that although it all works fine it cannot print an invoice. (The invoice printing bit says it cannot find the default printer despite other parts of the same program printing reports fine and dandy). The latest version works fine but there is no upgrade path from the ancient V3 to the modern (gnash gnash!).

I could hand enter my historic data but that would be a pain, so I now produce my invoices from a template in Word and carry on with V3.

Had I updated as new versions came along then this problem wouldn't have happened, and I still like Sage - it meets my needs.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi There

What I would highly recommend is TAS Accounting, the Company is now owned by Sage, the software is fairly user friendly and quite easy to use.

Reply to
Clive

Tim,I use Sage 2000 accounts.Cost about £80 + vat.I also have Quicken and Tas,but they would either not accept 14 digit part no`s or a £ to three decimal points so no good to me.I do about 200 invoices a month and Sage does it OK.Used to have it on Win 95 then XP pro and now on ME 2000,worked fine on them all.None of my business but if you deregister for vat your purchase costs are going up 17 1/2% right away which you may not be able to pass on which then means less in your pocket. Kind regards,Mark McGrath.

P.S. Where`s Peter Forbes these days?

Reply to
Mark McGrath

sage line 50, excellent software, easy to use, well priced too

Reply to
Tim Bird