good online industrial supplier?

greets all. first time here, was referred by r.c.metalworking. i am hoping to find a (reputable) industrial supply house in the UK with a good online catalog.

i am in Italy, having trouble finding a well-stocked supplier here with Bridgeport accessories.

mainly interested in mill/lathe tooling ...( R8 adapters, maybe a drawbar hammer), raw materials like shimstock, etc

something akin to the US-based Grainger or MSC/Enco.

thanks in advance,

-tony

Reply to
tony

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Hi Lionel,

The OP wanted a site with an online catalogue. As a J&L customer, I've wanted to order online but I can't get their catalogue to work under IE6 or Netscape 7. Once I have selected a product category, none of the links to subsections are active. I can then only browse their special offers. Does it work properly for you? If so which browser do you use please.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob, it doesn't work for me or anyone else I've asked - I don't think there are any catalogue sections behind it. The only way to really hack it is from the catalogues or the flyers.

The US online version of the catalogue works fine:

Part numbers, in most cases, are identical to the UK catalogue.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

I asked one of the J&L operators about this 6 months or more ago - she said they're 'still working on it' I wonder if they're *still* working on it, or have given up!

Cheers Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Thanks Duncan, at least that reassures my that my set up is probably not at fault. I have their paper catalogue and am bombarded by their flyersbut I would like to be able to view & order on line and so far with their poor online catalogue, I have not felt brave enough to risk an online order.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Only used catalogue and ordered from their flyers. Grabbed their URL from front of catalogue to be honest not used their site.

Here's a couple of others for original poster.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Only used their catalogue not ordered online.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Hi Tim,

Maybe the J&L site will be like the CPC one which was 'being worked on' for upwards of 18 months. It is now quite a capable site for searching and ordering and possibly worth the wait. With a paper catalogue of around 2500 pages, they still dont have much of an online description of the items.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

thanks for the input, everyone. i put in an on-line order with Chronos just last night. got the confirmation email this morning.

picked Chronos for no other reason than they had a picture on their website of what i was looking for :)

seems i got a good deal on alot of stuff (~200ukp)

-- unless the exchange rate for the euro dropped through the floor this morning.

thanks again!

-tony

Reply to
tony

on a sidenote, anyone have any idea what customs/duty fees might be like on a recent order in from england? (to italy)

am i correct in assuming that there should be no duty taxes between the UK and Europe?

i've been SLAUGHTERED by duty fees on the few orders that came in from the U.S.

-tony

Reply to
tony

If you are not VAT registered in Italy, then you will pay UK VAT and there should be no import duty. If you are VAT registered in Italy, and have given your VAT number to the UK supplier, they will zero rate for UK VAT & the Italian customs will charge you Italian VAT.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , tony writes

You are. Provided you have paid VAT in the UK, then no duties or taxes are due in Italy. Good this EU thing, innit?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

to be honest i dont even remember if i supplied a VAT# or not. (to be even "honester", i dont even know what 'VAT' stands for)

-- i was just so happy to find a resonably stocked supplier.

it looks as though VAT in the UK is 17.5%? here in italy sales tax (IVA) is 20%

so i'm guessing i'm pretty close, either way.

thanks again,

-tony

Reply to
tony

Over in Canada we pay GST (Goods and servives Tax) of 7% and each Province has its own Provincial Sales Tax: anything from 0 to 7.5 %. My favourite thing is ordering something from Alberta from a company with no offices in BC; I have to pay GST, but Alberta has no PST and the company won't collect for the BC govt, result happiness!

MIke in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

that's (Goods and Services Tax)

Reply to
Michael Gray

VAT = Value Added Tax. They would tax Air if they could!

- G3CCL

Reply to
Mr G H Ireland

Heh, heh! Where I live, there is a clean air tax!

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie