Accuracy of Surveyors Tapes

Does anyonre happen to know what the two following standards for surveyors length tapes actually represent in meaningful units? I can only see them quoted in adverts but cannot (by googling) find what they mean

EEC Class II accuracy. EEC Class III accuracy.

One seems to relate to steel tapes, and the other to fibreglass. I can imagine steel tapes will have far less 'stretch variability' but more temperature dependance, and the opposite to be true for fibreglass.

(Crossposted to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.models.engineering)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew,

I Googled EEC Class II tapes and found this

Nothing to do with materials of construction. All to do with accuracy it seems.

Isn't it strange how others question get the rest of us curious to find an answer!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Look for Directive 73/362/EEC, and possibly some later amendments. It deals with accuracy and markings of measures

It does not relate to what the tapes are made of, but the tapes material may determine what class it falls under.

dg

Reply to
dg

Henry, well done, how the heck did you find that? I'm amused to see that it cites cms which I understood are now frowned on by Brussels !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

And everyone else except dressmakers and the BBC...............

Reply to
John Stevenson

I guess it got me curious as it's the standard required for measuring yacht sails. I do that for models but am expected to use the RYA standards.

As ever with Google the results depend on the words you use to search Henry

Reply to
Dragon

My first question would be to ask for the calibration records.

In industry, anything that measures must be calibrated and recorded

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You certainly get some strange results if you search in Google for '"EEC class II" definition' (with double quotes, without single).

Dave

Reply to
Dave A

Screw Brussels, continue to be sovereign, we Americans have a few ideas about that from you guys and the Swiss.

Someday I'd like to visit England and see where my ancestors hailed from. I hope I don't have to carry Euros on that trip.

That was my off topic for the month, I'll behave now.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

No we are still on Groats, hogsheads and Ferkins.

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

In message , John Stevenson writes