Chronos purchases from overseas

Hi
Just thought I would tell you guys about my mistake - a few months ago my wife went to see her parents in the UK (from South Africa) I seized the opportunity and ordered a load from
Chronos and other suppliers for her to bring back.
I calculated the price excluding VAT because I was paying from SA. However when I checked my credit card statement a while later I found that I had payed the VAT. Upon inquiring they all told me that they were forced to charge VAT as the delivery address was in the UK.
Moderately expensive lesson!!! I reckon the VAT was still a lot cheaper than mail charges. Caveat emptor !
Tim

You can still get the VAT back, look on the HMRC website for the claim form.
As long as you are resident outside the UK and can prove the parts left these shores, they will refund the VAT.
If your wife had said the parts were for SA, Chronos should have advised her about the refund if they couldn't zero-rate it themselves.
We regularly get overseas people asking for spares, and as long as they can show country of residence is outside the UK then we don't charge the VAT.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu

You then open up a paper trail which means you'll get charged VAT in the receiving country or be asked to explain why the goods weren't declared as imports by the person bringing them in. Best left well alone IMO.

You shouldn't be doing this unless you are shipping the goods yourselves and could end up accounting to HM C&E for the uncharged VAT if the inspector catches you.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

They were quite correct to do so. Only if they were shipping the goods out themselves could they treat them as zero rated. Where the payment is originating from is not relevant.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines
TMN wrote:

Do the UK Gov't not offer a rebate on taxes for goods exported?
No experience there, but the practice is fairly common, and may be worth looking in to.
Cheers Trevor Jones

Trevor -
If you take a look at the link I posted earlier in this thread, you will see that they do.
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

Yeah! <hangs head>
Gotta read all the replies, before responding. :-)
I figured that there probably was such a program. I know that the Canadian Gov't offers the same deal for tourists.
Dunno that I'd be all that worried about "creating a paper trail", as the goods would (should) have been declared on arrival back in the home country when clearing Customs, no?
Cheers Trevor Jones

This is Africa ! I have return to SA (Johannesburg International )to find no one at customs desk !!! My wife was traveling with our 2 year old toddler and was 7 months pregnant - I don't think she declared them individually (the tools).
We are running out of power in SA , the crime is out of control - a paper trail is the least of my concerns.
I still cant believe we used to be an outpost and now its such a shambles.
Tim

Very sad that such a beautiful country appears to be on the way down rather than up -

I would like to add to your comments but think I better keep my mouth shut. Is there such a thing as a 4th or 5th world country?
******
Phil

Phil H wrote:

Me too.
I grew up there (Durban) and left in 1987. Idyllic childhood - absolutely amazing.
Re. the current situation - I have comments that would burn the ears of the PC brigade and probably land me in prison - so also keeping mouth shut.
What a waste of what was once one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
Now a total, utter shambles.
All will be revealed at the 2010 soccer goings-on - that might make the world aware of just how bad things are.
It's the only football match I've ever looked forward to.

I thought that was somewhat to the North and East of you :-(
Not much compensation though...
regards Mark Rand

Hi Tim, I have done the same a few times sending goods to people in the UK to bring back to SA and have also got stuff sent direct to SA. The extra you pay for the UK VAT is far less than the shipping costs to SA and the clearing fee and VAT you pay here when collecting. You are better off paying the UK VAT than putting up with the poor customs and postal service and their charges here. I order a fair amount of stuff from UK, Canada and USA. It normally takes 7 days to arrive in the country (this is by checking the date stamps on documents). Another 10 days to clear customs. A few days to get to the Post Orifice and usually another 10 days before I get notified from the orifice that there is parcel to be collected. There is also a good chance they will it will get lost as well. Stick to the friends route it is far safer and quicker.
BTW where are you? I am in the KZN Midlands
Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil
I am in Port Elizabeth.
Tim

I will be in Pietermaritzburg in April. If you want anything from Chronos that isn't too heavy let me know. They're just down the road
Kevin

Thanks but nothing right now. Could do with a few things from Myford though. Whatever give us a shout when you are here for a beer. If you are in PMB I presume you will do some meandering. If so I am on the Midlands Meander between PMB and Mooi River. Cheers
******
Phil

Thanks to all who commented - I just hope I can find the invoices !
Tim Nash South Africa