Design a reflector for unattended solar cooking on a jig.

In poor countries solar cooking saves the forests. Box cookers are a bit slow but are reliable. Parabolic cookers are fast and unreliable. Perhaps they need something in between the 2? The jig in the videos below gives you "scallop shaped" reflectors that could go like 2 ears onto a box cooker to give greater power. the jig is pretty simple and it uses 2 laser pointers ($1.50 each in the dollar store) to represent the sun at the start and at the end of the unattended cooking period. thought it might be a good project for engineers. (I do not have the patience)

I put 2 videos on youtube to further explain what I am trying to do. They are

you are short on time, just watch the first 5 minutes of the second video. Brian

Reply to
brian white

Agreed,but we don`t get a lot of sun up here in Scotland.

Reply to
mark

Depends where you are. On Tiree they get more sun than anywhere in the UK.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Reply to
brian white

If only I had a fiver for every time I`ve heard that, I could pay someone to cook for me.Come to think of it I already have,that is,until she sees this. Mark.

Reply to
mark
µx?eÁnÂ0 ?ïy ?8??B?§]vÙ ,k?4¢»8ñö ¤ÝlËþ¾ßB?½;,?¸U8qäÂ8?²#?Î wp ????E?¸?ðxå?kêUÕ6Åvc°¨?u]´m·*6ªªª^oëÖ¹*mU?åíWKKd´ÒÄY1J)g}öÌÔG={?? L?º÷tvÞ«K?ÅÁP@?,?Ï5¼?¨??)ÂA?ÿ?`1??"NÒ=?ù???þO?ù`Tþ?)Ã= ?Ðå a 9o¯xDÇ}?i?Ðkå;??ªëQ?ÅDÎç8³òF)?]ÔO¶?ìLùsý&ÄipÆ??¬u^?âá?P
Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Parabolic reflectors give perfect focus. That's as reliable as maths!

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Why not leave you parabolic reflector for 20 minutes and see how good and "reliable" its focus is? (This off focus effect is quite dangerous if it hits your eyes). And off focus parabolic reflectors also have a second order "focus" that can burn stuff yards away from the dish. Would you think it "reliable" if your barbecue burnt down your garden shed every few years? I am not sure how that fits in with the term "reliable" in your eyes. A parabolic solar cooker is only "reliable" if it has constant accurate tracking.

99% of parabolic solar cookers do not have that feature. I hope we get a few mature responses from now on. I am not in the mood for this level of comment.

bugbear wrote:

Reply to
brian white

Parabolic cooker on a balanced equatorial gimbal. What's the problem?

If you demand commercially valuable responses, pay for them :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

First they need to be able to track the sun! The earth rotates on it's axis.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

46 degrees of seasonal movement is one of the problems, The parabolic focus does not corespond to a center of gravity. So you cannot balance the dish on the gimbal for more than a few days. I have been playing with this problem for 3 years and reading the solar cooking groups for about that long too. The problems with parabolics are very real.

I am not doing anything commercial. It is a charity project and I get abuse, not money. I have not figured out how to keep the strips in place when making the model. If anyone else does it, they get the credit not me. If one of you invents a new scallop shaped solar cooker (using the jig), and shows it to the world, you get the credit, not me. It might be a great thing or it might end up as a dead end. Perhaps worth a try and rewarding for someone? Brian

Reply to
gaiatechnician

If you really don't like the responses old chap, perhaps you should re-consider the wisdom of posing commercial questions on an amateur newsgroup.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

he should be looking at the devices the MET use for burning a mark into card that shows the total solar for the day .

these are glass spheres ..and are not as directional as a parabolic .. all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

get lost then.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

And I take it that you regard your somewhat petulant/huffy response as mature...?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Indeed.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Reply to
gaiatechnician

No, it was huffy because the subject is unattended solar cooking and parabolics are a little better than useless for that. And parabolics are dangerous. But someone HAS to go and steer the thing off track. I am an amateur too. I do not have skills in model making. I thought some of you might be interested in making an impression AND helping people in far off lands. People give money to charity, why not time? Right now, carbon credits are being used to pay for making parabolic solar cookers in India, and even used to pay people to use them! (To save the forests) And users are saying "my skin is getting burnt", "My eyes feel like hot coals", "I got sunstroke cooking dinner". But are the carbon credit people listening? Are the cooker makers listening? Nope. It is a good game for them. They make their money. There are several answers. One answer is cheaper tracking. (I have worked on that) Another is reflectors designed for unattended cooking. (This can be addressed somewhat with this project) Several of my free solar cooking ideas are on the net in solarcooking.org I do not get a cent for them. There is nothing commercial about my interest in solar cooking. Why do people dig in their heels when they hear new ideas?

20 minutes with the jig and you will be saying, "holy crap, he is right" but instead a few people act like a gang of thugs and intimidate everybody. Parabolics are only good if they have all day everyday tracking. At other times they are an eyesite and fire hazard. Tracking for solar cookers is just not as simple or as cheap as people seem to think. If you do not want to make the model, that is fine with me, but why do you think you speak for an entire group? Brian

On Dec 4, 6:41=A0am, Tony Jeffree wrote:

Reply to
gaiatechnician

Reply to
gaiatechnician