Design a reflector for unattended solar cooking on a jig.

Conspiracy theorist alert!

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Why do you react with sarchasm when you do not understand something? I could just as easily reply: "Caution, airhead alert" couldn't I? But I do not know why you refuse to give thought to a new (to you) idea. You might not be an airhead. Perhaps it is your inner luddite? Anyway, for those of you who keep your inner luddite in check, would you like to try the modeling? I use aluminiumized plastic that goes with the brand name mylar. I cut it in strips and try and make the model with the strips. But I have not figured out how to keep the strips firmly in place. So if you can figure it out, don't do it for me, do it for the folks at solarcooking.org. A physics lecturer (optical engineer) will give me a "concidered response" as soon as the exams are over. Realistically that is in the new year. I have great faith in practical modeling for solving problems so please give the jig a go. They will need pictures at the solar cooking wiki anyway. Might as well be your pictures of your jig and your model.

Brian

Reply to
gaiatechnician

I suspect Bugbear understands something perfectly well - that your statement (quoted above) was apparently based on your prejudice that the scientific/engineering community is motivated only by financial interest. A bit of a generalization, old chap, and one that probably alienated a fair number of readers of this newsgroup, including myself, who consider them to be scientists and/or engineers (of whatever discipline).

Ever read "How to win friends and influence people"?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

From the bitter undertones I think his copy of that book might have been consumed by uncontrollable parabolic incinerator.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Do you and Tony and Bearbug concider yourself to be scientists or engineers? Do you back slap each other every time you make a "witty" comment? What will you do if this proves successful? You are still just a gang of three thugs who are picking on me because nobody else speaks up. If the idea has merit, scientists should look at it on its mertits and it should become popular. The science is not supposed to be about my personality and I am certainly glad that you are not my friend. Brian

Reply to
gaiatechnician

Old soldiers told me about a solar energy device in Egypt. it was a mile long, and curved so that a good part of it was always roughly aligned with the sun. It was a corrugated iron reflector, that focused on a pipe running lengthwise. No need for a parabola, at focal lengths of F10 or greater it doesn't matter. That particular design will only work near the equator. In our more northern climes, the sun follows an apparent elongated figure 8 path in the sky over a year.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Why do you assume I don't understand?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:19:05 -0800 (PST), gaiatechnician top posted:

]

Ok, I'll speak up. You appear to be moving from OCD towards Paranoia.

Go and see a doctor. Seriously!

Mark Rand(Suffered depression for 5 years) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I wonder if any of these scientists has tried a Paranoia Reflector ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

Reply to