Design a reflector for unattended solar cooking on a jig.

gaiatechnician wrote:

Why do you assume I don't understand?
BugBear

If you really don't like the responses old chap, perhaps you should re-consider the wisdom of posing commercial questions on an amateur newsgroup.
Cliff Coggin.
It is not a commercial question.

get lost then.

And I take it that you regard your somewhat petulant/huffy response as mature...?
Regards, Tony
No, it was huffy because the subject is unattended solar cooking and parabolics are a little better than useless for that. And parabolics are dangerous. But someone HAS to go and steer the thing off track. I am an amateur too. I do not have skills in model making. I thought some of you might be interested in making an impression AND helping people in far off lands. People give money to charity, why not time? Right now, carbon credits are being used to pay for making parabolic solar cookers in India, and even used to pay people to use them! (To save the forests) And users are saying "my skin is getting burnt", "My eyes feel like hot coals", "I got sunstroke cooking dinner". But are the carbon credit people listening? Are the cooker makers listening? Nope. It is a good game for them. They make their money. There are several answers. One answer is cheaper tracking. (I have worked on that) Another is reflectors designed for unattended cooking. (This can be addressed somewhat with this project) Several of my free solar cooking ideas are on the net in solarcooking.org I do not get a cent for them. There is nothing commercial about my interest in solar cooking. Why do people dig in their heels when they hear new ideas? 20 minutes with the jig and you will be saying, "holy crap, he is right" but instead a few people act like a gang of thugs and intimidate everybody. Parabolics are only good if they have all day everyday tracking. At other times they are an eyesite and fire hazard. Tracking for solar cookers is just not as simple or as cheap as people seem to think. If you do not want to make the model, that is fine with me, but why do you think you speak for an entire group? Brian

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:16:02 -0800 (PST), gaiatechnician
I don't.
Regards, Tony

First they need to be able to track the sun! The earth rotates on it's axis.
Steve R.

Indeed.
Regards, Tony
The latest version of the project is at http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_design_T-Square I have done a model with little mirrors from a craft shop and clay. The shape for a 2 hour cook time is similar to a clam shell. (in the clay and mirror model I made) Brian brian white wrote: