Drawings

Hi folks,

I wonder if anybody can tell me what ref. means on a drawing when it's written after the dimension. E.g. 2.5 ref. Reference would seem the obvious word, but it doesn't seem to make sense in the context.

I've uploaded the part of the drawing in question.

Any help greatly apprecaited

Cheers Mark

Reply to
Mark

Ref. Usually means the size of a given starting part used in making the part. No tolerance is given on it most of the time. There is also one diminsion missing in the drawing. Reference is what it stands for. It is also sometimes meant to refer to some other mating part that has the dimensions given on it. Hope this helps.

Reply to
fz1

In this case it's means reference in that the part is a casting and you have no control over the sizes. The ref sizes are just for reference so you can check if you have the right casting.

As FZ1 has said the side dimension of the holes are missing and will probably have to be taken from the cylinder drawing or cover drawing. Failing that it must meant drill central to the web and drill everything else to match

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Thanks chaps,

I measured the casting, and it's just about the same size as the drawing I.e. 3 1/2" wide. As the casting is quite tapered and has a thumping great angle gringer mark where they cut off the plug, I guess I'll just machine the minimum off that I can to get a clean finish. It's too rough to leave un-machined although I suppose that is what the drawings are intimating ?

I see what you mean by the missing dimension. I can get that off the port block drawing. It's a port block that is full width between the frames, with the steam chest sitting underneath it.

Cheers Mark

Reply to
Mark