EN24 Supply

I'm pondering a project that starts off with a lump of EN24 roughly

16" x 5" x 2". I have two questions:

Firstly suggested sources that might be happy to supply a piece that size.

Secondly what sort of cost is it likely to be - I'd hate to ask and worry someone with the sharp intake of breath at my end of the phone.

Thanks

Charles

Visit

The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment

Reply to
Charles Ping

That's a serious lump, too short for a car crankshaft so I'm racking my brain trying to work out what you're knocking up!

Try MCM in Salford on 0161 736 2498. Don't make the stupid mistake I did of saying no when they ask "are you trade?" They stopped supplying M.E. bods about 2 or 3 months ago...

Reply to
Duncan Munro

You could try Parker Steel, they have a depot nr. cambridge, or Ace Metals in Norwich. Both of them deliver out this way. If you have no luck with them I'll ask one of my toolmakers if they can get a lump in for you.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

EN24 is the grade of steel used for making billet conrods so you might try one of the crankshaft/rod manufacturers and see if they'll add such a lump to a stock order for you. They'll get top discounts for dealing in volume so could probably add a markup and still supply to you cheaper than a one off order to a steel stockholder. Try Phoenix Cranks in Slough or Farndon Cranks in Coventry. Google should find the contact details.

Otherwise any steel stockholder will deal in EN24. West Yorkshire Steel for one.

When we made cranks a few years ago steel used to be about £100 for an 80kg billet but has no doubt gone up a fair bit since then and will be more per kg for smaller lumps. Your lump will weigh 20.5kg so maybe £30 to £40 but that's only a guess.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

Try Macready's - their webite is

They've got depots around the country, so there might be something convenient for you

I've dealt with them over the past couple of years supplying material for a racing car project, and they've always been relatively good on prices and availability. Again, tell them you're trade....

cheers

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair