Engineers Blue

I am just at the end of a small tin of blue (the type you smear onto
master to determine high spots when rubbed over something to b
scraped) I have had this about 40 years, is something similar stil available ? Davi
-- stereotyp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- stereotype's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 920 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?te736

This the stuff? http://tinyurl.com/37jubz
Cheers, Scruff.
PS your local engineering supply company should carry it, if you prefer not to buy online.

Also here, at about half the price from e-bay. http://tinyurl.com/ysdl5k
Peter

Out of interest, how come it's blue?
Michael
wrote in message wrote:

To give a good contrast I suspect. It is only a grade of printers ink repackaged iirc so could be any colour. Coates used to be a big producer.
AWEM

A small tube of Prussian Blue oil paint from the Art shop should do the trick.
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

How do you stop paint from setting?
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

It is oil paint. It is a bugger to get it to dry out if you want it to. Pete
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:30:04 GMT, "Michael"

Historically because it is coloured with Prussian blue, which is a strong blue dye. The advantage of a dye over a pigment is that the particle size can be arbitrarily small.
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

The particle size is certainly small. A number of years ago I used to use it to test flatness of a small alloy wedge which was for crucial part in a strain gauge displacement transducer.
The company I was working for just happened to have a accredited lab where they calibrated slip gauges etc. I recall that we detected much less than a micron resolution depending how liberal you were with it.
Wayne....
Michael wrote:

Try it with black and you'll see that blue has a much better contrast on steel.
But I think the OP asked for a blue for touching/scraping and not for marking out. But both are blue.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***
Michael wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_blue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_blue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marking_blue
BugBear
On 15 Mar 2007 14:01:00 -0700, "Peter Neill"

Just bought a tin locally, 3.19 + vat. Anyone know if it's still available in a tube? I found that much handier but my tube has gone walkabout.
Cheers Tim

Had a tube once but I found it very waxy and not inclined to stick, also gets squashed easily in a toolbox, much prefer the tins.
Engineers Blue is actually an ink and is made in the country by Coates Inks. They gave me a kilo tub when I was on a job there which has since been passed on to the Eternal fire museum as they have bigger bearings than I have <g> -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson wrote:

A kilo! That's a lifetime supply for a county!!
BugBear (using the stuff 1 pea sized splodge at a time)

Both Chronos and Cromwell do tubes and tins. Can't find it with J&L, but they may have a funny name for it.
Mark Rand RTFM