German Readers

Hi,

Can someone please translate "Sicherheitszahl" for me please? I'm translating a german engineering program and it reads: Sicherheitszahl v=

So I presume it is a velocity of some sorts.....?

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in message news:IwQii.17707$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Now if only you had internet access instead of just Usenet access. See then you could use any of the dozens of online dictionaries, free translation services, Googles own built in translation mode, Babelfish - the list goes on.

Anyway, if you ever do get online, find a good German-English translation site, copy the security code displayed into the appropriate box to prove you're a human not a web robot and Bob's your aunty's husband as they say.

Mind you I always have trouble with those security code thingies coz I'm colourblind and they tend to display them in squiggly multicoloured letters on a multicoloured background and half the time I can't read the bloody things. Pesky buggers those security codes eh?

Anyway sorry we can't help.

Reply to
Dave Baker

wrote

translation

translation

Well Babelfish just gives you the same word back as a 'translation'

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Does it not stand to reason that if I'm translating an entire program from one language to another, and I only ask for one word that it is most probable that I used a translator and due to this work being a technical phrase it didn't come up with a useful translation?

Go to Google try Babelfish, Google Translator, and FreeTranslation and type in the word "Sicherheitszahl". Then tell me I should have used a translator.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The other Dave has mentioned one meaning of the word in his reply - 'security code'. But it can also mean 'safety factor', which sounds bit more likely!

Dave

Reply to
Dave A

Hence my post.

There was a online site that was 'purpose built' for translation of technical terms, but I can't remember or locate it after a Googling....

Anyone saved the address?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Sicherheitszahl" isn't very common. It should be "safety factor". Or in better German: "Sicherheitsfaktor". Maybe you eMail me a bit of the context and I'd be glad to help you.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Thanks Nick, it's a form of calculator and I've translated all the other terms was just stuck on that one so should be able to piece it all together from here.

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Thanks Dave,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

One that isn't as bad as most of the others (especially Babelfish):

But it doesn't give a result for "Sicherheitszahl"

HTH, Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

What kind of calculator? I mean, for what field of application?

Maybe the German origin was clueless. :-) Because "Zahl" means "number" and it is as kaput as in English to say "safety number". It *could* mean something like a PIN, but then the German word would still be quite odd.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I got the best results doing a Google *image* search for the word would you believe - pictures tend not to need translating! :)

Some results are indeed for the type of security codes as described by Dave B. Others are from engineering drawings. One in particular says "Sicherheitszahl, Sicherheitsfaktor" and another uses a formula along the lines of "permissible stress = yield stress / Sicherheitszahl."

Dave

Reply to
Dave A

It's for designing submarine components. It has to do with the ballast tanks etc.

It's not really worth it but if you'ld like to take a look at the source - feel free to download it:

It was written by a German......

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in message news:WuRii.17783$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Nope. Usenet doesn't generally allow for its contributors as being logical, educated or even sapient. You try arguing which side of a radiator the TRV should go on with Doctor Drivel in uk.d-i-y for two days and see how you feel.

Yes, none of them work which is why I typed sicherheitszahl into Google, looked at the context of the web pages that came up and deduced a meaning, perhaps one of several. However as you didn't post the full text which included the word you were struggling with we can't know for sure what context it was being used in.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Sicherheit Zahl is security number. Make sense? -sort of depends on the context. Best, John

"Michael" wrote in message news:IwQii.17707$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
John Kneeshaw

OK. Then it is clearly safety factor and the Author is well beyond his 80's.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Oh you think so eh? So submarines can't have computer systems with bloody stupid multicoloured security codes like the interweb does?

Hmmm, ok I'll give you that one and maybe the OP has learned that context is everything and to post more info when he wants to know summat.

Reply to
Dave Baker

That wouldn't help me if I do a pictorial google for "food" and end with an British picture of "food".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In article , Dave A writes

I guess that figures - would mean something like "safety factor" or "security factor". ISTR a certain unpleasant mid-20th century organisation called "Sicherheitsdienst" which meant something like "security organisation".

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Brilliant. Translation and an ironic understanding of British food.

Makes me feel even worse that I can only get just about order a beer without a translator in Germany.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping