ME Vol 153 No 3735 Article by "Tubal Cain" on making a die

I've been trying to track down this article:

"Making a special die" by Tubal Cain in ME Vol 153 No 3735 pp214 (reference found on the index on the web)

since it coincides with what I'm trying to do -- make a special die; in my case for 0.275" x 40tpi thread for a Lorch 8mm watchmakers' lathe collet. I have seen the article before when reading through MEs in a club library and remember some handy tips on hardening without distorting the die.

However it neatly coincides with a gap in my model engineer stocks (mostly volume prior to vol 150 and after vol 156!). I'd be happy to pay copying costs if anyone has the article (or indeed a scan of it).

Alternatively I've got a box of duplicates for MEs covering volumes around 140-150 which might contain one which I could send in exchange!

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

Alan, If you can wait until tonight I'll scan and post the link.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Playing devil's advocate, why bother? Why not screw cut the threads you want? The accuracy should be greater, and that would be quite important with a little collet.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

It would (and I've done them this was when I lived near Cambridge and could use the screw cutting lathe belonging to the Cambridge MES) but I don't have a screwcutting lathe! My lathe is a Lorch-Schmidt of pre

1920s vintage -- round leather belt drive taking 12.5mm collets!

I do have access to a tap set for 0.275"x 40tpi and I think this was the position of the author of the ME article (from what I remember he inherited some really bizare set of taps and while he had no need to use them, felt he should have matching dies). My main use for such a die would be cleaning up existing threads on collets.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Alan, Emailed you the file earlier. Have you received it ?