Myford Ml4

Wot ??????????????????????????????????

John S.

Reply to
John S

The new Facebook style bling presentation that has infected most of the groups I read and is being progressively imposed across the board.

If you subscribe to Yahoo groups ensure your security settings are set to 'Hide Everything' as the default for the new presentation is to 'Show Everything' including your name, email address etc. until or unless you go and change it.

If you want a laugh at just how popular the new prsentation is, have a decco here:

Richard

Richard Shute

Read that and there are some unhappy people but just signed onto the Myford lathes forum and everything here looks exactly the same as before so not sure what the new layout covers ?

I had to sign on to go look as to be honest I don't use Yahoo to read the groups I'm on.

I use a program called PG Offline which downloads all the messages to my hard drive and acts and looks like a news reader so I can read search and reply without even having an internet connection, when I reconnect any replys not sent then get sent.

The beauty of this program is you keep the files. Very handy when all the rambling and upset was going on at the old MyMford group because when the plug got pulled I still have all the files on my hard drive from post # one to end of play.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Thanks for that prompt. I will look into that. I expect the change to the presentation on the Myford will be imposed as sumarily as it has been on other groups.

There is also a (for me small) issue that message reference numbers are lostplus some discussion regarding archive longevity as well as via-group contact ie it is no longer possible to email someone in the group, you have to invite the other party to be your friend?! unless their email is public or they are online and can 'Chat' with them ugh!

The new presentation is cumbersome, slow and.... fecal.

Richard

Richard Shute

No problem, I find it a very useful program.

This is a screen shot of it as I have it for some of the groups I read.

On the left are the groups, on the right the posts, in this case because I have read what's there I have selected all posts but usually I have only new posts selected.

In a morning I come down open the program and click refresh whilst I make a coffee, when I come back all the new posts from all the groups have been downloaded, never have to go on Yahoo. I can them read them or leave them to do later, they are on my hard drive.

If I decide to join a new group I can join it, on Yahoo, then add it to the list and get it to fetch all the posts to store. Search is brilliant, From, Subject or in message or find person.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Sorry bad link.

John S

That is great, I tried the free version for now and it does what it says on the tin..... for groups that have not yet been changed to the new format. For the new format Groups, the message numbers have been removed and PG cannot deal with it :-(

Bugger!

Richard

Richard Shute

-

Ironically none of my groups are the new format yet so not seen that but looked on PGO's support page and they are aware of it. can you list a group that has changed please so I can have a look ?

Reply to
John S

Have a look at

you can see messages withouot needing to subscribe. It has also infected the Shapers group, but you can't access anything beyond the title page withour registering, same goes for other examples I read so there's not much point yo looking.

Rgds Richard

Richard Shute

---

OK Now see what they are talking about. I can see this being the end of various groups. I went to sign up and that part isn't working yet and it took me back to the old format to sign up. Got signed up, added S&B to the PGO list but it can't get the data.

I dare say three things will happen.

[1] the groups will close and move. [2] Yahoo will back pedal [3] PGO will get an update out

I have direct control over 3 groups on Yahoo, X3 Mills, Myfordlathes and Dolphin CADCAM

If in a month or so nothing is resolved then I'll be closing one and moving two to web based servers. We are not short of web servers as the Homeworkshop site has more than enough plus there is also a little known and used forumn on there which has more or less been taken over by the shaper guys.

John S.

Reply to
John S

I got a truly nauseating pop-up:

"We are upgrading Yahoo! Groups and are bursting with excitement to share our progress with you. It's still us - just better!

  • Never miss a beat with the newly redesigned homepage * Simplified tools to keep up with group conversations * Share, upload, and view tons of photos in a snap * Instantly get in touch with group chat "

Gosh. I'm bursting with excitement too...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Very likely

Improbable, but possible #i suppose

Would be nice, but at first glance, I can't see how it would work if the message references have been removed. Possibly they still exist, but burried in a different register.

Yup, I be one of they too. I had crossed my mind that for UK based folk it would be an obvious migration.

And yes, isn't the Yahoo pop-up truely emetic?

Richard

Richard Shute