Number of Model Engineers in the UK?

Funny how you all think .

When someone says the expression to me .. I think gyros, trajectories stabilisation ..not of rocket motors or plumbing

then, to me, the statement does look up to rocket science...as complicated

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

The gyros, trajectories, stabilisation bits - the electronics - are (in a sense, and I don't mean to denigrate at all the guys who do them) almost off-the-shelf technology now. You (almost..) just have to write the software - if the right plumbing is there.

Rocket plumbing still isn't anywhere near being off-the-shelf. One of the best rocket guys I know calls himself a rocket plumber, and I completely understand why. It's the major remaining really hard part.

Of course maybe we're using the word plumbing in an unusual sense - it's not just about putting pipes in the right place, it's about flows and pressures, and flow and pressure control, and startup transients and pogo-ing, and combustion stability, and the RCS rockets and their controls which control attitude, and the hydraulic bits which control the direction of thrust, and turbopumps, and tank design, and tank pressurisation design, and chamber and nozzle design, and cooling, and so on - basically, almost all the engineering bits of a rocket are, or can be, considered plumbing.

And when you need things which have -180 degrees C on one side, and

3,500 degrees C 5 mm away, with volumes larger and pressures higher than those in gas cylinder bottles, but only a few mm of material to contain them - and which use flow rates approaching ridiculous levels and cryogenic, corrosive, explosive and toxic fluids - and twice the shaft horsepower of a F1 car at full throttle being both produced and used in something you can hold in one hand - or 4 shaft HP produced and used in something the size of a 35mm film canister - then it gets difficult.

But that's rocket plumbing.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I always think blue touch paper.....................

John S.

Reply to
John S

Of course, blue touch paper was out of the question for the inmates of Dachau concentration camp who had to make the instrumentation. I had an old Norwegian Red Cross bloke who was there- and survived. How wonderful to pi55 on the gubbins in side the rocketry.

How I would like to do the same on the twerps who are costing us zillions for not a lot in space.

I suppose that it is one way of getting rid of your future pensions.

Have a nice day- can't say that the week or even the future is promising.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Had in what sense?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

- and which use flow rates approaching ridiculous levels

Did supercavitating pumps ever erm... get off the ground?

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Sorry Norman - I wasn't after, nor did I need, a history lesson, fascinating as it may have been - it was just the way you said "I had an old Norwegian Red Cross bloke ..." - much like someone would say "I had a golden Labrador", or "I had a Norwegian Blue parrot". Just wasn't clear what you were trying to convey about your relationship with said gent.

And no, I haven't forgotten about the Holocaust, although I can't claim to have been around at the time.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I feel sorry for the OP.

What ever happened to moderators?!

Reply to
elj221c

Whatever happened to people who don't understand how a newsgroup works over a forum. This is the problem when newsgroups are hijacked by a forum such as rcgroups, it may look like a forum to you but rcgroups has no control over it, in fact they are stealing the feed.

John S.

Reply to
John S

But why approach a bunch of people who have an engineering interest and a modelling interest but no worth when it comes to giving a business assessment?

This, in professional terms, is where one puts one money up to get correct business intelligence. I regarded it as a 'windup' as the rest of guff from this OP has no remote connection with what the question was.

So let's move on! I believe the tank man is not the tank man. Sorry, the tank man is the guy's father. OK, the father had a rough time but those who went into National Service after the war had a pretty rough time. Many were splattered over all sorts of places such as Malaya, India, Burma, Central Africa and Korea. Whether they died- and got a medal or were in a war-WAR is doubtful- but dead or injured, they are. Apart from the Berlin Airlift bit, I was never out of the UK but I like many more am a disabled ex-serviceman. My ears were 'blown out' or something.

Chummy, here, who has this father appears to be a bloke who is getting money for books and traipsing poor sods and their relatives over war graves. He is getting money playing on the emotions of those who paid the ultimate price- of him being here today.

Am I right? Well, I did write and he ducked under the parapet like any old soldier- and hasn't replied.

I might be wrong but that is where the story seems to be unfolding- or not unfolding!

Well, gentlemen, I await an explanation. I want to see whether an old fart like me - hastoo much Sherry or Alzheimers.

Good Moaning

ravensworth2674

Gordon Bennett Norman give it a rest. Someone managed to get it back on topic and you have to go and derail it again.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Actually I gave up hope ages ago. I did get some useful info though but it's been entertaining watching the other posters bickering like my kids do.

Thanks,

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Wilson

Can any explian what an rcgroup is? I thought it was something to do with radio control and could not understand why they would wish to hijack our forum. This is a genuine question and not a pisstake.

Reply to
andy

Rc group is the name of a forum for as you say radio contol subjects, don't have the link to hand but it's a very popular group.

They have made it so one branch of the forum is linked to a news feed where they are reading uk.rec.models.engineering.

To readers of Rcgroups this sub forum

just like any of their other forums and their member don't realise that they are reading a news list that is an external feed even though it says it at the top, who reads the top bits ?

Every so often a Bot will update the page but it often causes problems when they get out of timing and people post on matters that have since moved on.

In the link above it's out of date at the moment with Andrews post on QC tooling leading this one. Most confusing as many of rcgroups readers think that people who post on 'their' forum should be removed or the subject removed etc but the truth is a news feed is unmoderated and no one has any control over it

- unfortunately.

There used to be a very good news group called rec.crafts.metalworking that catered for home shop engineering issues and it was very good, it still exists but as a shadow of it's self as the gun and politic nuts have taken it over. That's one reason that the UK group was started in an attempt to get back on topic.

The root problem is there are numerous groups and forums and the more that start up only dilute the pool of useful knowledge.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Any as they are so fragmented every couple of months someone comes along and decides to bring it all back together in one "supergroup" so starts a new one!

Reply to
Cliff Ray

Perhaps someone should take a more adult look at what is also appearing here. I, for one, am sick of having to dodge around such muck. Makes my very boring life so much the better- than what others are now prepared to accept- without question. Bah, humbug? Too true!

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Norman -

That's a bit rich, considering that a significant proportion of what you post is several parsecs away from anything that could remotely be considered a model engineering topic.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Is little girls and whatever? N

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Sorry was I misleading in answering that post question.? perhaps I should have left it to you to explain how the internet and frapper work ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

The World- not the internet and whatever still sets a reasonable standard of respectable decency. Frankly, I am not interested in what is filth.

Read the postings if you must. I'm far from being a prude but really?

How does one pull the plug and get out?

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674