Number of Model Engineers in the UK?

I always think blue touch paper.....................
John S.
Of course, blue touch paper was out of the question for the inmates of Dachau concentration camp who had to make the instrumentation. I had an old Norwegian Red Cross bloke who was there- and survived. How wonderful to pi55 on the gubbins in side the rocketry.
How I would like to do the same on the twerps who are costing us zillions for not a lot in space.
I suppose that it is one way of getting rid of your future pensions.
Have a nice day- can't say that the week or even the future is promising.
Norm
On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:44:05 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674
Had in what sense?
Regards, Tony
On Wed, 27 May 2009 09:58:59 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674

Sorry Norman - I wasn't after, nor did I need, a history lesson, fascinating as it may have been - it was just the way you said "I had an old Norwegian Red Cross bloke ..." - much like someone would say "I had a golden Labrador", or "I had a Norwegian Blue parrot". Just wasn't clear what you were trying to convey about your relationship with said gent.
And no, I haven't forgotten about the Holocaust, although I can't claim to have been around at the time.
Regards, Tony

Looking at some 1940's ME magazines, there was a fair bit of stuff around, but nowhere near the stage that we are at today, with almost everything available at the click of a mouse and the flash of the plastic.
I'm thinking of one article, about a guy who built some amazing models, including loco's, and he had passed away and his engines had gone to a musuem? Might have been Gloucestershire way.
He certainly didn't have drawings for what he made, just what he saw and sketched presumably.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu

Given that Railway Modeller has an audited circulation of 43K and Model Rail has 29K it's going to be well south of those figures. 20K rings a bell but how many ME/MEW readers aren't into trains? Maybe as much as half.
And from the traffic stats to Homeworkshop.org.uk I'd guess that only 1 in 5 are digitally literate to any large degree.
Charles
On 26 May, 14:00, wells snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

If you are inferring that the other 4 in 5 of us do not even achieve mere digital literacy then the majority of us are doomed to t'internet oblivion? But this could be a plus. Alan
I feel sorry for the OP.
What ever happened to moderators?!
--
elj221c

Whatever happened to people who don't understand how a newsgroup works over a forum. This is the problem when newsgroups are hijacked by a forum such as rcgroups, it may look like a forum to you but rcgroups has no control over it, in fact they are stealing the feed.
John S.

But why approach a bunch of people who have an engineering interest and a modelling interest but no worth when it comes to giving a business assessment?
This, in professional terms, is where one puts one money up to get correct business intelligence. I regarded it as a 'windup' as the rest of guff from this OP has no remote connection with what the question was.
So let's move on! I believe the tank man is not the tank man. Sorry, the tank man is the guy's father. OK, the father had a rough time but those who went into National Service after the war had a pretty rough time. Many were splattered over all sorts of places such as Malaya, India, Burma, Central Africa and Korea. Whether they died- and got a medal or were in a war-WAR is doubtful- but dead or injured, they are. Apart from the Berlin Airlift bit, I was never out of the UK but I like many more am a disabled ex-serviceman. My ears were 'blown out' or something.
Chummy, here, who has this father appears to be a bloke who is getting money for books and traipsing poor sods and their relatives over war graves. He is getting money playing on the emotions of those who paid the ultimate price- of him being here today.
Am I right? Well, I did write and he ducked under the parapet like any old soldier- and hasn't replied.
I might be wrong but that is where the story seems to be unfolding- or not unfolding!
Well, gentlemen, I await an explanation. I want to see whether an old fart like me - hastoo much Sherry or Alzheimers.
Good Moaning

Gordon Bennett Norman give it a rest. Someone managed to get it back on topic and you have to go and derail it again.
John S.
John S wrote:

Actually I gave up hope ages ago. I did get some useful info though but it's been entertaining watching the other posters bickering like my kids do.
Thanks,
Rob.
Can any explian what an rcgroup is? I thought it was something to do with radio control and could not understand why they would wish to hijack our forum. This is a genuine question and not a pisstake.
On 30 May, 10:15, snipped-for-privacy@nashman.co.uk wrote:

Rc group is the name of a forum for as you say radio contol subjects, don't have the link to hand but it's a very popular group.
They have made it so one branch of the forum is linked to a news feed where they are reading uk.rec.models.engineering.
To readers of Rcgroups this sub forum http://www.rcgroups.com/uk-rec-models-engineering-155 / look just like any of their other forums and their member don't realise that they are reading a news list that is an external feed even though it says it at the top, who reads the top bits <g> ?
Every so often a Bot will update the page but it often causes problems when they get out of timing and people post on matters that have since moved on.
In the link above it's out of date at the moment with Andrews post on QC tooling leading this one. Most confusing as many of rcgroups readers think that people who post on 'their' forum should be removed or the subject removed etc but the truth is a news feed is unmoderated and no one has any control over it - unfortunately.
There used to be a very good news group called rec.crafts.metalworking that catered for home shop engineering issues and it was very good, it still exists but as a shadow of it's self as the gun and politic nuts have taken it over. That's one reason that the UK group was started in an attempt to get back on topic.
The root problem is there are numerous groups and forums and the more that start up only dilute the pool of useful knowledge.
John S.

Any as they are so fragmented every couple of months someone comes along and decides to bring it all back together in one "supergroup" so starts a new one!
On 30 May, 12:13, Cliff Ray <namnocATgotadslcouk> wrote:

Perhaps someone should take a more adult look at what is also appearing here. I, for one, am sick of having to dodge around such muck. Makes my very boring life so much the better- than what others are now prepared to accept- without question. Bah, humbug? Too true!
Norm
On Sat, 30 May 2009 04:59:09 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674

Norman -
That's a bit rich, considering that a significant proportion of what you post is several parsecs away from anything that could remotely be considered a model engineering topic.
Regards, Tony

Is little girls and whatever? N
On Sat, 30 May 2009 05:24:07 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674

No, and I didn't suggest that it was.
Regards, Tony

Sorry was I misleading in answering that post question.? perhaps I should have left it to you to explain how the internet and frapper work ?
John S.