Prescription Safety Glasses vs Prescription Sports Glasses

Anyone know what the difference is between the safety ratings on these (apart from ASTM F803 and ANSI Z87.1 nomenclature) ?

Are the lenses tested differently, perhaps ballistic testing for industrial safety specs against a lower standard for sports safety specs, or is it just the extra ingress protection and so on around the edges?

I'm getting fed up wearing standard safety glasses over prescription glasses and would like a lighter and more comfotable alternative, and there is more of a choice in sports vs industrial ranges.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Why are you using safety glasses _over_ prescription glasses?

Get prescription safety glasses.

My current sets (Both bifocal, one distance/inter the other inter/near) are from glasses uk:-

If you're embarrassed about wearing safety glasses in public, you can knock out the plastic rivets that hold the side shields on and no one will know that you've got an honest job.

Mark Rand (replied via PM as well) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I only wear glasses for reading and machining, which is why I've never bothered with prescription safety glasses before now, as the machining I do is only a hobby. Hence the 'larger' non-prescription glasses over the top.

However, I like the idea of a more modern wrap-around over the traditional style, and as these are widely available for sports, and the wrap-around gives a degree of side ingress protection, I want to know what the difference is.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I'm not sure about the ASTM numbering but safety specs in the UK are regulated by BS.EN166 which has a whole bunch of categories depending on what the expected hazard is. There are different types for e.g. chemical splashes or high velocity particles. So for example BS EN 166 3 9 B denotes protection against liquids (droplets or splashes), molten metals and hot solids and medium energy impacts.

There's quite a good explanation at:

Norman Billingham

Interesting read. Thanks Norman.

Reply to
Peter Neill

Peter, I tend to wear a full face shield, rather than safety specs, never really got on with safety specs. something like:

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson