saws in fine holes

Hi all,
In the model I am making, I have to make a 1/8" x 20SWG slot. The text says to drill a 0.9mm hole, use a piercing saw, then a flat escapement file.
As I don't have a piercing saw (or escapement file), I am looking in the cromwell catalog. They have a piercing saw and a fret saw. What is the difference between them? (piercing and fret). Will a fret saw do the same job?
Also, I understand an escapement file is a small flat file with only one side and one edge that can cut. I can't see any in the cromwell catalog. My own needle files are actually too wide for the job. I guess that I could buy a needle file and grind it so that it will fit (grind one edge and one side) to make it into flat escapement. However, if you know of the proper tool in the catalogue, can you let me know?
Thanks.
Best regards, Dave Colliver. http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com ~~ http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available

Dave,
Is this what you are looking for? The best such files are from Switzerland, and Vallorbe is one of the premier names. Google "Vallorbe Swiss files" for more suppliers.
http://www.shesto.co.uk/Vallorbe_Swiss_Files_&_Gravers-Vallorbe_Swiss_Esc apement_Files/c72_126/index.html
David
--
David Littlewood

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:27:36 +0100, David Littlewood

As I understand it a "Piercing saw blade" is held via clamps. This allows the blade to be thread through a hole before clamping in the frame. A fret saw blade has a pin at each end to allow it to be held in slots in the saw frame. I would always consider a fret saw to be a wood working tool and a piercing saw a metal workers tool.
Therefore you need piercing blades. (And a frame)
Re the file. I would just grind down a flat Swiss file to suit.
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:29:19 +0100, Richard Edwards wrote:

Both piercing saw blades and fret saw blades are clamped in their frames although the frames are different, the piercing saw frames are more rigid than the fret frames.
The saw blades I think you mean that have pegs to hold the blades are coping saw blades.
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l

Shucks, brain in Neutral! Thanks for the correction.
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Neil Ellwood wrote:

Some powered fret saws (called scroll saws in US) also have pinned blades.
BugBear

You could try looking over at Cookson Gold: http://www.cooksongold.com
Dave
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:36:30 +0100, "David"

They're quite different.
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/piercingsaw.html
Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk

I've seen "escapement makers file" in watchmaking texts generically applied for a fine cut file of small section (usally about half the size of the generic needle files and much finer cut). On the same subject it seems to be very difficult to find number 8 cut files and they are very useful indeed and while I have a resonable collection of second hand ones I don't have some useful shapes which I would like to purchase.
However for your problem, I think I would probably use a slitting saw as a viable alternative for cutting your slot as it will make sure it is straight and do it in a fraction of the time. If the part is very thin you could consider soft soldering it to a larger piece of brass, or if it is very small and delicate using shelac.
Alan
Hi Alan,
Can't use a slitting saw... it is a 1/8" x 20swg hole. The text with the drawing says to drill a 0.9mm hole, use the saw to expand the hole then an escapement file to square it up.
Best regards, Dave Colliver. http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com ~~ http://www.FOCUSPortals.com - Local franchises available