Victoria U2 Mill

I have a new to me Victorial U2 Miller which came with a universal (rack milling ) head. It runs well and is quiet, I then found a standard vertical head which has the advantage of taking 40 int tooling( as to 30 int) and is more rigid for heavy work, The problem is that the standard head is noisy when compared to the rack head, I have taken the inspection plate off the side of the head and all seems well so I think it is a meshing problem and I need adjust the relationship of the crownwheel and pinion. Before I start on this I wonder if any of you have done this and can give me some advice. Is there a workshop manual for the machine (I have ther operators book which gives some data but not enough detail) Thanks Peter

Reply to
petercolman45

What lubrication are you using?

A thicker oil (if oil is OK and won't leak out everywhere) might be worth trying, we put some 80EP oil in our old Ward gearbox to quieten it down a bit, works a treat.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Hi I agree that that would help, but I am using grease, I am sure that the meshing is at fault. Peter

Reply to
petercolman45

snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.ukhttp://www.oldengine.org/members/dieselhttp://www.stationary-engine.co.uk Hi I agree that that would help, but I am using grease, I am sure that the meshing is at fault. Peter

I had, some years ago, the vertical version of this machine, the Victoria V2. Ran as sweet as a nut, could take really heavy cuts. Never experienced any noise from the vertical head, never oiled the head in all the years I had it. So I guess your theory of meshing is right. I'll look to see if there is a manual laying around that may offer some help. I recall having a new on/off switch specially remade by the original switch manufacturer, that must be in the shop somewhere because it was removed when the machine went to the scrapyard, Despite many enquiries, I couldn't even give it away!!! Shame, such a sturdy machine bob

Reply to
Emimec

Thanks for that, I agree that a good old un beats a bad new un each time, I like the iron rigidity of the machine and it is in good nick so a pleasure to use. Peter

Reply to
petercolman45