Wabeco

I'd be grateful for any advice / comments on Wabeco. I'm contemplating buying a D6000 which seems to have a high spec (and price although much cheaper than a new myford)

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dyer

The only thing I can say is, that I have never heard any negative comments. They seem to have a good service. I had a look at some on fairs and they were all well crafted. But you have to accept the pricetag.

Things worth thinking about:

  • Limited screw-cutting range, and only with change-gears. That might drive you nuts some day.
  • No backgear. It has a DC regulated motor that might lack some torque at lower speeds. But then, that's why they have a 1.5kW (?) motor.
  • Just a leadscrew. But that is the standard in that size-range.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Peter Hi,

A long way from the WM-250 you asked about a while ago. My only experience with these is with a past acquaintance who had one for clock making. It was a very well made machine and because of an unusual drive system, very, very quiet to run. The last I heard of him he had moved on to a Schaublin 102 after complaining that the Wabeco was expensive to equip? If I remember correctly it has an unusual thread cutting arrangement so if you are going to cut a wide range of threads I would advise a little investigation before parting with money. Another thought would be that for about the price of the D6000 Myford would provide a reconditioned (by them) and guaranteed ML7BT (see their current web page). Also don't forget that buying the lathe is only the start, you should budget on spending the same again on tooling and equipment it if you are going to use it seriously.

Sorry can't be more helpful

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Also, I think that Myford ML7s have more add-ons than any other lathe on this planet.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller