Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Sieg C3 lathe stiffness
I've been turying to turn down a part in aluminium today and have found a somewhat serious issue with my C3 lathe. With the saddle locked to the leadscrew, the simple act of turning the handle on the...
9
9

Quill return spring
Vain hopoe but anyone any idea where I might source a quill return spring for a Richmond SR2 radial arm drill. Suspect that I'll have to modify something like a Bridgeport one, unless you know...
1
1

Moving a Lathe
Hello everyone, I recently bought a nice Murad lathe. The machine arrived in one piece and is currently sitting in my garage. I'm not sure how I'm going to get it onto my work bench! The machine did...
5
5

Piano wire in metric sizes
Can anyone provide a source of small amounts of piano wire in metric sizes ? I'm looking for 4.0, 5.0 and 5.5mm diameter. Adrian.
11
11

Shaping internal gears
Shaping internal gear cutters Ivan Laws book gives detail of making cutters for spur gears but how do you go about making cutters for internal gears other than "by eye"? I am trying to have a go at...
1
1

Boley 3L lathe
I've recently managed to buy myself one of these from fleabay, for a very reasonable price. I'm struggling to find out what size taper is in the headstock, and also what size thread is on the spindle...

Excel die filer
I found a die filer at an auction today. I wasn't entirely sure what it was but it didn't look quite right for a jigsaw. A bit of googling confirms I was right, and that it's probably similar to one...
13
13

Chinese spam
Anybody interested in blocking the Chinese spam that has become prevalent here recently might care to set up a rule or filter deleting anything containing "chen" in the sender's name. That should...
3
3

Collet Identification
Some while ago I bourght a box of mixed collets off eBay. The ER 32 versions are no problem but there are a great many small collets from 3mm to 12mm capacity that are 'similar' to the ER type...
8
8

Minganti Manual sought
Minganti Toolroom slotting machine manual sought, in return for the usual Bob

Taig lathe gets power feed
Spent yesterday afternoon installing the latest version of the Taig lathe - there are various improvements that have been made over the years, but the most significant one is the addition of a rather...
9
9

Clearout
The time has come to get shot of an EMI-MEC Autosprint S plugboard lathe. This is to make room for a rather large slotting machine. Problem is............. so many other machines in the way, will make...

Grinder bellows
I've just bought an Excel swing grinder. doused it it WD40 it's now swinging fine but had been seized and "unswinging" when I bought it. This was probably down to lack of use but probably wasn't...
3
3

Goo ?
Anyone know what the plastic goo on the better cutting tools is, and if/where it's available? I don't know what it's called, so googling prolly won't help me. I'm referring to the plastic sheath...
4
4

Hydraulic pressure guage
I'm looking for 6" diameter rear entry hydraulic pressure guage reading 12,000 15,000 or 20,000 psi. (I'm reading a nominal 10,700 psi) Has anyone got something similar gathering dust that they'd like...