Solubility of PU foam

I am working on a project and I need to know the solubility of flexible polyurethane foam in either tolulene or xylene. Could some please point me in the right direction? Thank in advance Greg Postma

Reply to
Greg Postma

Condensation polymers, such as polyurethane are very difficult to discuss in general terms since the name, polyurethane, describes a very limited amount of the polymer backbone. The name simply means that the monomers are joined by urethane linkages, and says nothing about the monomers themselves, which can make up 90% or more of the molecule. In contrast, addition polymers such as polypropylene, have a very informative name that describes the monomers and consequently the entire chain itself.

If you can find out more about the composition of the monomers, it would be most helpful. Otherwise, you are stuck with doing the experiment yourself (although I would consider that to be the fun part!)

John

Reply to
John Spevacek