Caterpillar engine C32

Hello, I have some files of Caterpillar C32 engine. I think they are Autodesk Inventor files. They have .iam and .ipt endings. Is there any way to import files to Proe assembly. Or is there any Inventor user who could transform 5 files for me.

Our local Caterpillar sales man can't help. Those files are all they can get from Caterpillar.

TIA

Petteri

Reply to
Petteri

Caterpillar are pretty switched on, I'm surprised you can't pull standard model data off their website. I don't recognise the C32, do you mean C3208? That's quite an old product & data may not exist.

Reply to
John Wade

Yeah, well, the request itself is pretty strange. And, as you say, Caterpillar (and its dealerships) are heavily networked. They need to be since their stuff goes all over the world. However, I'm most puzzled by the file extensions mentioned in the request. These are not recognized by Pro/e and they are not Inventor formats (or at least not the .IV format recognized by Pro/e). So, what those files are and how you got them is a complete mystery, Peterri. Especially since Caterpillar is the single biggest Pro/e user on the planet and if you have any files at all from Caterpillar, they should be in Pro/e native format, no translation required, or at least some export format of which Pro/e is capable. You files are neither. I suspect some kind of skullduggery, scammery, boondogglery.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

The file extensions are Autodesk Inventor.

Could be.

along with posting here, the catchy (IV users are always looking for engine models) subject line instead of something pertinent and relevant to the need. Some people; you just have to lead them around by the hand. I'd think anyone would know that STEP, IGES, SAT translation will be necessary including the source.

5 files for an engine ... 1 (.iam)assy, 4 (.ipt) parts? Imported shrinkwrap?

Maybe someone will translate. Ask for STEP, SAT if the STEP fails to export. IV's IGES output usually sucks.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

It's the history I suspect: he got these from, as he says 'Our local Caterpillar sales man can't help. Those files are all they can get from Caterpillar.' The implication being that Cat and its distributors are make Inventor files available!?!?! I've seen some other systems beside Pro/e, available at Cat, mostly for legacy stuff. But they don't do the low end stuff... SW, Inventor, Think3, Alibre, Cobalt. Putting the name of Caterpillar together with the name of Inventor could be a publicity stunt by IV. But it's not a corporate reality in Peoria, Decatur or Lafayette engine design or production. And how would sales people have files that Cat did not distribute! BS antennas raised at HA (high alert). Call me skeptical, but the story doesn't hang together. Piettri, can you possibly tell us a better, more convincing story? Amuse us, please.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Piettri, I think you need to identify the engine better, as there are some wierd products made by cat which a lot of cat people don't know about, such as the 4000 series, which is mostly still paper drawing.

Reply to
John Wade

web search: caterpillar marine engine china c32

Reply to
one-ringy-dingy

I sit corrected. I hadn't seen that before.

If the engine rating plate tells you where it was made, there may be applications engineers who'll be able to help there. Sometimes just ringing the plant & talking to the design manager will yield dividends.

Reply to
John Wade

I do not know anything about Autodesk "Inventor", but *.iv files are possibly the ones from an earlier (and far ahead) program, SGI´s "Inventor" 3D modeler. RIP.

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

(Products > Engines > Marine > Commercial Vessels > C32 )

There is the engine.

So if somebody has 3D model for Proe of the engine I'll be very happy to get it.

I have files PQ0846.iam, PQ0847.iam, PQ0851.ipt, PQ0855.ipt and PQ0856.ipt. They should be 3D-files. And I suppose they are Inventor files because I have also PQ0846.dwf and PQ0847.dwf which are Autodesk 3D viewer files. So if someone has the translator for .dwf to .wrml or .stl is also good enough for me.

Files are from the local dealer.

I can send files to you if you like.

Petteri

Reply to
Petteri

Post here:

Jeff Howard

I think if you input C32 ACERT or Caterpillar 777F Off Highway Truck in the search engines you will find that it a new product.

Reply to
Jeff Lynch

Swell, great! And the OP will actually find some files of this engine he can use? Which was the original POINT of this thread!?! Yeah? Hunh? Remember? Is it all coming back now!?! Ah, good, so maybe you could just give us the link to these files? And please don't give him any more stinking Inventor files, okay?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes