Mirroring sheetmetal parts

I'm mirroring a lh assy. I need to be able to add holes to a lh sheetmetal part in that assy at the part level without having them show up in the rh sheetmetal part. If I had made the rh assy and mirrored that to get the lh assy I wouldn't have this problem.

I wouldn't be adverse to filling the holes in the rh sheetmetal part but, in sheetmetal, I can't find a way to do that. (extrude, etc only allows cuts in sheetmetal.

Thanks

Reply to
selmra

I am not a a sheet metal expert, but here's how I do it for mirrored injection molded parts.

  1. Make a common part.
  2. Create a left hand part and a right hand part.
  3. Merge the common part into the left hand part.
  4. Merge the common part into the right hand part.
  5. You can now add features to the left hand part that won't show up in the right hand part.
  6. You can now add features to the common part that will show up in both left and right hand parts.
  7. > I'm mirroring a lh assy. I need to be able to add holes to a lh
Reply to
bill

Since you're not adverse to filling the holes in the rh sheetmetal part, you can accomplish this by adding an Unattached Flat Wall feature to the model that has its section sketch entities generated with a Use Edge operation in Sketcher. Just reference the hole's edges in Sketcher. Once you've completed the creation of the Unattached, Flat Wall feature, you can then utilize the Merge Walls(or Wall Merge?) functionality to join the Flat Wall to the existing solid geometry.

Under normal circumstances, I would never recommend creating buried features in a Pro/E model of any type. However, PTC and Pro/E has left you with only a couple of workarounds for this particular limitation with Pro/ENGINEER's mirror part behavior/functionality. So filling the hole(s) in the particular case shouldn't be frowned upon too much.

Hope this helps in some way.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.