over center latch design ?

I've done this a few times but I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of fundamental of latches, specifically where to put the pivot point. I'm doing a latch to lock something down and I don't want the latch to pop when the object is pulled up. I belive it has to do with the reaction force and the resultant component forces when the unit is removed pointing to the pivot point. Any help is appreciated.

---- ^ | | | o | works

---- ^ | | | o opens

---- ^ | | | o | better ?

---- ^ | | | o worse ?