Pro/E Prismatic and Multi-surface Milling option?

Hello again,

Thanks for all the input on which would be the best for large assemblies (Pro/E or SolidWorks), we have decided to go with Pro/E. We are also getting the Prismatic and Multi-surface Milling option. Has anyone used this CNC package? Can we also program our 2 axis CNC lathe with it? Does it come with any post processors?

At the moment we are using VisualMill, how does the two compare? We now use for our lathe BobCAD/CAM but it is a real pain.

Any input will be appreciated.

Eric

Reply to
CDC

We use the Complete Machining package exclusively, which is not part of a bundled package (right now).

Prismatic is what used to be called Expert Machinist. I think it is okay for doing things like molds, etc, but not what you want if you're going to be doing a full range of machining. While we have had access to it for years we never found a use for it.

As for postprocessors, there are some available but most need customization. Try joining ptcuser.org and getting on the 'manuf' group exploder. It's a lot more active than this one.

Regards

Reply to
peterbrown77

I use Pro Wildfire 2.0 with Expert Machinest. I have found very little limitations, we also use Surfcam both cam systems can make the same tool paths, just where to click and when is different. Personally, with ProE any modifications are much easier. If set up correctly and Regeneration can be done very easy. As for NC complete the only time I use it is for the 4th and 5th axis stuff and it does the job. NC complete has a few options that Expert does not have. I make, open and closed dies for forge tooling, fixtures tooling you name it. As for the lathe, G code is code, coordinates in space. Since a lathe is only two axis ( x and z ) I just draw a 2d drawing place a coordinate system at z and x zero and let the g code spit it out. I then edit the Post to post the rest of the Lathe G and M code. With the latest version of Java, Proe has an excellent Post Processor editor. Pro or your Machine supplier can supply you with a basic post and you can edit the rest of it.

To make your life easy I sugest taking the time to creat an accurate Tool list and a correct pprint file (yes that is two ps) and the Post will brieng in all the setup information that the machinest/operator needs. Any questions snipped-for-privacy@pmp-elcajon.com

PS David J what do you think am I wrong?

Reply to
shaun

Shaun, you know a 100xs more about Pro/NC than I do and it's been a few years since I've touched it. Who knows, maybe, in all that time, PTC has made it user friendly, but I doubt that they've got anything in there as convenient and useful to the programmer as SurfCAM's "Rest machining". They certainly never had anything that you'd intuitively say "this is roughing, this is finishing". I took a bunch of courses (all that PTC offers) and they were clueless about this. Has it gotten better, Shaun? I'd be interested to know.

One thing you do get, especially with the big, all encompassing package, is a very good, very useful simulation package that does collision checking: use it, make friends with it, master it ~ it will keep you on the schedule and on the buck.

The truest thing said was about reusability of the machining features: modify part geometry and just update the tool path. Of course, it can get a little hairy if you added patches to a QUILT, but that just means you have to get used to the friendlier "intent surfaces" (wouldn't hurt to take a course on surfacing, if you'll be dealing with them a lot ~ their surfacing courses are excellent, much better than their programming couses which are like teaching dancing without rhythm or like teaching geography without mountains or history or geology.... in other words, flat and lifeless.)

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

David,

I have little history with ProE. I am a "new user" I have only been using ProE for 2-3 years. Now this sounds like a long time and for most other cad software it is. Someone can master Solid Works in a couple months. ProE very advanced very complex. Here we have a couple seats of SurfCam and we think ProE is better. Better is a tuff word. Better faster, betters easyier, better cuts who really knows, for me I hate doing stuff twice. To make changes ProE rules, (not to mention the family tables). I can model and tool path in about a day, after that any changes take about 30 minutes and I have updated tool path. Surfcam sux to model in. Once you got a model it is done, no feature tree no history just a surface. Have not seen any of my co workers do quick changes with with surfcam. I have been told that Solidworks 2005 and Surfcam 2005 can work together to do regenerations like ProE.

As for tool path, (and most software) all it is is where to click and when. David sounds like ProE has gone a long way in their tool path and MFGs since you got your expieriece. Anyother questions I would love to help.

(Sorry for any spelling or errors in this post. No time to edit LOL)

Reply to
shaun