SW 2004 & Pro/E

Any good news on importing of Pro/E files in SW 2004?
This is becoming more and more of an issue with us as all our customer's are
now going to 'model based' ducumentation instead of drawings. And of course most of them use Pro/E...
--
Jeff

are
course
If indeed "all" of your customers are using ProE, maybe it's time to consider moving away from SW. I'm not sure of the type of work your company does, but we've had fairly good results using STEP files for transferring info. But we don't have a large proportion of customers that are using a particular CAD system..
As of now, no translator exists for encrypted files. Don't hold your breath either. I'm sure this is a complicated issue that may never be resolve. Maybe someone can create a freebie that decrypts the files. Either way I still don't think you can import feature geometry, though I could be wrong.

are
course
Have you ever used the Pro-ENGINEER to Solidworks file converter? I just did this earlier today with some Pro-E fittings I downloaded from the Parker website. In the file type pull down menu in the open command I just pick the Pro-E part extension and opened the Pro_e file. The "Pro\ENGINEER to Solidworks Converter" box comes up and gives you the option to "Import Geometry Directly" or "Analyze the Model Completely". I chose to analyze the model completely and it successfully found all features and then asked me if I wanted to import it as a body or the features. I chose features and the converter built the whole part in just a few seconds and the part is now fully defined with Sweeps, Cut-revolves, Extrudes and Chamfers. Couldn't have been any easier. Currently using 2003 but I used this same procedure in 2001+ also. Maybe the converter doesn't work on all Pro/E parts but I have never had a problem with any of the coverted files.

are
course
From what I understand, Paul, though wildfire is coming in at the same price, by the time you get the same functionality that you get for the base price of SW, you are back up there in the "too much for me" category. Not that i am knocking it, just wondering. I must say that the warp tool in wildfire is HOT...blows the heels off of the deform tool in SW.

We use Delcam PS-Exchange, but you do not have to buy a license you can pay per use for translation. However, de-crypting Pro/E files is free, so you de-crypt using PS-Exchange and then use the Pro/E importer in SW. Not as simple as direct import but it does get around the problem.
Copied from their site today;
"PS-Exchange allows you to translate files between a wide variety of standard formats, and it also allows you to decrypt Pro/Engineer 2000i, Pro/Engineer 2000i2 and Pro/Engineer 2001 files which can then be imported into your chosen CADCAM package.
PS-Exchange also allows you to Decrypt Pro/Engineer 2000i and Pro/Engineer 2000i2 files which can be imported into SolidWorks using 'Converter for Pro/Engineer'."
Wildfire does not appear to be supported yet.
Jon