Biped balance and Low Cost Gyros: experiences? which one to use?

How to balance a small biped (30cm/12inches)?
Does anyone have experiences with any low cost gyros?
I am trying to get my R/C Servo based Biped to walk safely. Preprogrammed
walking is OK, but I would like to make it ballance correctly on its feet. I fiddled around with accelerometers, but not very successfully. Ut seems the Piezzo based ones react much too fast, so sampeling them 50 times a second gives me not much usable information (except maybe "I fell", which is kinda late ;-)
I checked a few links and the most promising (price-wise) is: http://www.gyration.com/us/tech/technology.htm
Other suggestions to keep the little aluminum guy from tipping over are greatly apprecited.
Hi Matthias, I have used the Murata ENC-03J rate gyros. I got mine from androidworld.com. They have proven to be very reliable.
For what you are doing you will need to merge a stable vertical reference from an inclometer (sp?) or accelerometer with the rate roll from the gyro.
I have done this in a small balacing robot quite successfully.
Look for "complementary filters" or if you're into maths "Kalman filters". The rotomotion project on source forge is a very good starting point. The other thing is to search on ballancing robots and read up on their various approches. Nbot & Gyrobot are 2 that spring to mind.
Where did you get pricing on the gyration ones? They only seem to sell end products on the site.
Regards, Robin
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:42:25 +0200, "Matthias Melcher"

snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz wrote:

Phew, 50 Euros per angle. I knew it would not be cheap ;-)

Cool. Good to know that it does work. Thanks for that jump start. I'll dig into what I find.

I did not get pricing, but I assumed that they would do wholesale since the describe many details about the actual component. The probably want to sell numbers. I will give them a call anyway... .
Thanks again,
Matthias

roll
I'll

sell
since

want

Plese follow up with the pricing info when you get it.
Thanks,
Joe
--
Mini ITX and other computer goodies:
www.brokenacres.rite2u.com
joecoin wrote:

I got into contact with them and they were very friendly and helpful. I am getting the eval kit and I will post my experiences with it as soon as I have tried out some stuff.
Matt
snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz wrote:

I think these are usually salvaged from Gyropoint mice available on eBay for, typically, about $20.
More information on the Microgyro 100 is here: http://bobodyne.com/web-docs/robots/Trippy/Gyro/applic~1.pdf
Mitch Berkson
snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz wrote:

You can buy a MicroGyro 100 starter kit for $450 here: http://www.gyration.com/us/tech/MG100-starter.htm