I want to do simple image processing

Hi,

I have a USB web cam. I want to do some very low resolution simple image capture and image processing in Linux. I wondered if there was some GNU/Linux program source code in C/C++ or project that was out there that could do that.

e7

Is your google broken perhaps? Entering: image processing linux gave me about 672,000 results

Alf Tanner

Try Opencv(opencv.yahoo.com) supported by intel. It can be compiled either on linux or windows(if you get the camera driver to work properly in the case of linux). If has nice

image processing functions already implemented - such as tracking, face detection, etc.

I got together a project for a robot arm(servo with servio or ssc type of controllers based) which makes use of an usb camera on linux mounted on the arm to do a series of tasks based on open cv and a few other image processing methods by my own. The GUI frame is based on wxWindows(now wxWidgets) which can be also compiled on linux/windows. And also integrated(encapsulated in c++) gorc for character/barcode recognition - well this for the moment will need more touches but basically works.

I will make my source code public as soon as I will get a bit of time to clean it up and document it if you are interested.

Larry

Reply to
Larry O.

The problem is, Google hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, vetted any of those 672,000 results, whereas, some of us at the posted newsgroups, very likely have had some some exposure to this area.

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

That address doesn't work for me. In any case, the project's officially listed on sourceforge at

Chris S.

yip, my fault. Thanks Chris - that is the actual official address I could not remember off hand the actual address and I though that if I quote quick the yahoo group will do ... The yahoo address is

- there you will find patches, samples etc.( under Files section) Warning, if you subscribe expect to receive a fair number of email a day.

Larry

Reply to
Larry O.

I'm interested.

The idea I have is to make an open source GPL Linux LiveCD that boots and using any webcam attached is able to tell you what it sees into a log file or a console window.

Linux can be as small as 50Mb, leaving 600Mb for the software and compressed data. If the data is excessive, then can use DVD to get 4Gb or in one or two years 25Gb from Blue ray discs.

I'm still a newbie to Linux so learning to make a LiveCD is all part of the exercise.

Ideally the development environment is also in the CD so students can try out their own improvements and contribute if they want to. Some plug-in architecture is needed to assemble the recognition system through a text configuration file. Ideal to allow everyone to make their own chain of recognition modules to mix and match best configuration for each project. This isn't a 'macho' project. Speed is not an issue. If someone wants speed, then they can modify the GPL code themselves and contribute back if they want to. Likewise, if the output needs to do something, then they can fork the project and make it do something they want or contribute back if they want to.

May be someone has similar project already and I can join that.

Larry O. wrote:

Reply to
e7