OT: Segway crossed with air muscles = funky trike bike

Off topic - sorta - but seriously cool looking !

pogo

Ok, I'll bite. What's the scoop on ultracapacitors?

I see that there are some nay-sayers, and some feel that EEstor won't be able to go to production ... but Zenn seems to have bit, hook line and sinker ... are these a replacement for Lead acid and Lithium batteries any time soon? Anyone have info??

It appears that they would be ideal for the acceleration phase of a vehicle, and to re-capture energy with regenerative braking, but are they a replacement for storage cells??

Inquiring minds, and all that ...

Rob Sciuk

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
spam

It has been a few years since I've read about ultracapacitors in regards to cars, but yes, the idea was to take advantage of the fast charge/discharge ability of the capacitor in this manner. This would serve the same function as an accumulator in a hydraulic system. Other batteries used in electric cars took too much time to charge or discharge at the time. And even if this capacitor was "ultra" it still did not have the capacity of a battery. Current battery technology has significantly improved since I first read about the ultracapacitor, and their benefit is perhaps reduced.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke4