Playstation controller and memory card.

Anyone out there have some choice links for the playstation joystick and memory card protocols?
Thanks

Blueeyedpop wrote:

Why Playstation?
'cause someone asked me to do something for them, and it involved Playstation equipment.

Hi Mike,
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:04:34AM +0000, Blueeyedpop wrote:

I can't remember for sure, but when I implemented the Playstation II controller interface to my MAVRIC-II board, I think I used information from this site:
http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/psxcont/psxcont.htm
At any rate, it looks familiar and seems to have about everything you need.
BTW - the interface is very simple, just standard SPI. One caveat - I ended up bit-banging the SPI with programmed clock delays to slow the access down instead of using the built-in hardware SPI support because the AVR processor on my MAVRIC-II running at 16 MHz, even at the greatest SPI clock prescale, was too fast for the Playstation controller to keep up. The lowest I seem to remember being able to get the AVR SPI clock was 125 KHz, while the fastest I could drive the Playstation II controller was around 36 KHz as I recall. The AVR was way too fast.
I realized later that I could have flipped a bit in one of the AVR registers (XDIV register or something like that) to programmatically drop the clock speed of the AVR while accessing the slow game controller and then speed it back up afterwards which would have allowed me to use the AVRs builtin hardware SPI interface with the slow game controller. Even though the hardware SPI is certainly convenient, SPI has got to be the easiest interface to bit-bang so I just left my code the way it was and didn't worry about it.
-Brian
--
Brian Dean
http://www.bdmicro.com/