Card Card System ????

Now that I have some of the track in place on the Georgetwon Branch I have been looking for instructions on how to use a Car Card system for operation.

I would like to create the car cards on the computer and print them out. I read a breif description about a system that uses dice to pick the number of cars in a train... sounds like fun!

Any web sites with instruction?

I downloaded the Mad River Way Bill software... nice and simple, but maybe a little to basic.

I read the Ship it web site... but the switch list program is a little pricy for me at this time. Also not sure if i need somthing that complicated to start with.

I am also not sure what the differance is between a switch list and a car card system?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Kelly

Kelly, Here's a link to some car card and switch lists to check out. If you scroll down you'll find a list of free car forwarding and switch list generators.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

A few sites that might help:

Corelane

Here's a list of references to card operation:

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

On the Blue Island Terminal, we use coin envelopes for the cars, and index cards that fit inside for the waybills. Car information could be entered in a spreadsheet / database program and printed out on sitcky labels affixed to the envelopes.

Another wrinkle is that the waybills do not have originating information on them, nor are they rotated or flipped. When a car reaches its destination, the waybill is removed and another semi-randomly selected waybill is inserted.

One reason this works is that the B.I.T. is a transfer railroad -- a car "leaves" the BIT, gets a new waybill, and re-enters the property with a new destination. \ Chas.

Reply to
SailNrails

If you do the Yahoo thing, there is a Car Cards group. Very nice folks, and some nice software for making cards from a database.

All I've ever used is/are car cards, but...car cards and waybills represent the actual paperwork that accompanies each carload shipment. Switchlists are a single sheet that the train crew uses to set out and pick up cars. Corrections welcome...

Jeff Sc. Pencil, Ga.

Reply to
not.fishplate

Thank's everyone for the great links and tips!

Subscibed this afternoon!

I have been reading alot of the links provided and I think I am leaning towards a switch list type program.

It looks like a lot of work to set up, but once finished it seems as simple as generating a session, printing a switch list, and go play!

Reply to
Kelly